walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Inverinan - 3rd out of 3

Inverinan - 3rd out of 3

Postby Teffios » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:57 pm

Route description: Inverinan Trail, Loch Awe

Date walked: 16/04/2021

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Distance: 4 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The '3rd of 3' description has nothing to do with the quality of the walk - I really enjoyed it. Given that we stay over an hour's drive away, we'd decided to try out three new short walks in a day, and I think this was my favourite.

From reading the walk description, I was a bit worried that I might miss a vital path junction, but my fears were groundless - it was easy to navigate. At the top of the ascent, there's a new signpost pointing you down towards the ford, and when you join the forestry track later, the track that goes off left soon after is really obvious after about 20 yards.

There were fabulous snatches and glimpses of a rocky river gorge for a lot of the walk, woody glades, a stunning wee waterfall and a real "ooh" moment near the end when everything just opened up with a finishing view up Loch Awe.

There's the odd precipitous drop, so I'd keep unruly children or dogs on a tight leash for a while past the waterfall. Unless you're particularly bored of them. I'd also consider sturdy trousers in summer, as the path wasn't at all overgrown in April but some sections might be later on.

Although the walk description says that the path is unmarked, the walk has been waymarked at some point in the past. Look out for the ancient wooden posts with the faint remains of carved butterflies on them.

High points from my daughter: rope swing near the start of the walk (sturdy with great views - also recommended for adults), lack of bog, footbridge over waterfall for playing Poohsticks.

Also recommended: if you come from the South side and are returning that way, on a clear day take a few minutes to drive North for a quick glance at the high hills. At the highest point where you go "ooh look at all those stunning mountains" there's a point at the top where you can park up and turn round. Don't overshoot, as it'll be a little while before you can turn on the descending road.
Attachments
PXL_20210416_151849690.jpg
PXL_20210416_144759418.MP.jpg
PXL_20210416_142256153.jpg
PXL_20210416_135958213.MP~2.jpg
Teffios
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland