walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Steele's Knowe over 2 Tumps from Corb Glen

Steele's Knowe over 2 Tumps from Corb Glen

Postby rob munbett » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:05 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Steele's Knowe

Date walked: 17/04/2021

Time taken: 3.3 hours

Distance: 12.8 km

Ascent: 491m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ah, we can travel further afield now! Where to go and what to do? I still wanted to go somewhere quiet, though, so I went to Dunning Glen and parked in the small car park at the east end of Corb Glen. I decided to go over the Tumps John's Hill and Sim's Hill on the way over to Steele's Knowe. I wanted to avoid the route from the south. I strolled along the track on Corb Glen, enjoying the early morning sunshine. Soon, though, it was time to leave the track and take to the open hillside of rough tussocks.
P1040599.JPG
John's Hill from Corb Glen
It seemed fairly steep but perhaps that was just my lack of hill-fitness. The summit afforded me a good view of my day's route.
IMG_20210415_113054.jpg
Descending John's Hill looking over to Sim's Hill
There was quite a steep descent to the col between the two hills, followed by a steep ascent on to Sim's Hill, aided by an ATV track. From this top I followed a track beside a fence over Green Law and then down to cross the path in Borland Glen.
IMG_20210415_120222.jpg
On Green Law looking back to Sim's Hill
The next part of the route was easy - just walk on the windfarm road to within about 100 metres of the trig on Steele's Knowe.
P1040598.JPG
On Steele's Knowe, Sim's Hill & John's Hill in the distance
At this point, I was quite a long way from the car and, to be honest, I didn't fancy a re-ascent of the two Tumps so when I reached the path in Borland Glen I followed it down towards Corb Glen. I left this path, crossed the stream and scrambled up the steep bank to reach the road out. I must confess that I was a bit tired and sore by now and it was a relief to get back to my starting point. I must build up my fitness and get used to the old boots again. A good day out, though.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland