walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob Dubh - an amzing view point high above Glen Etive

Stob Dubh - an amzing view point high above Glen Etive

Postby Mountainlove » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:04 pm

Route description: Stob Dubh, Glen Etive

Corbetts included on this walk: Stob Dubh

Date walked: 17/04/2021

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1112m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With the lock down restrictions lifted, I can honestly say that the past 4 months have been rubbish. I am usually a very positive person, but in the last months lock down had really started to affect my mental well being. :thumbdown:

Hearing that lock down had lifted had an immediate effect on me. For the first time in months I was truly happy again and went into planning overdrive.

Picking a hill which would suit my (currently non existing) hill fitness, a knee still recovering from injury and trying to stay away from crowds, yet not venturing too far afield wasn't the easiest.
The search ended with the Corbett Stob Dubh in Glen Etive. It had been on my to do list for years and I hoped it would be less crowded than the nearby Munros. I arrived at the starting point at 10 am and minus one other car in the small parking area, there seemed to be no one else. :thumbup:

P1520364.JPG
Stob Dubh from the bridge

I crossed the bridge and followed the signposts over the grassy area to the second bridge which crosses Allt a Chaorainn. The deep pools of the burn were emerald green and looked so inviting.

P1520366.JPG
The second bridge

P1520608.JPG
Emerald waters

The path continued through a small forest...so boggy, but not even bog could bother me. Spongy I thought instead and squelched along the track. I crossed a gate with an impressive step system in place and reached the open moor.

P1520369.JPG
The boggy path

Instead of heading straight up, as the walk description suggests, I followed a land rover track the path until I reached the area below Coire Dubh-beag. Looking up I began the climb and was happy that my knee (8 weeks ago I was only able to hobble around the house) did not bother me. The glacial pace I was doing due to being completely unfit probably helped too :lol: Just as well I was alone, this was embarrassing!

P1520388.JPG
Close to Coire Dubh-beag looking down the way I walked up

I finally reached Coire Dubh-beag (after what have seemed an eternity) and was rewarded with amazing views. The cliffs fell vertical down to the valley and it was worth while exploring the area.

P1520389.JPG
The mighty Buachaille Etive More ridge

P1520472.JPG
It's a loong way down

P1520468.JPG
Simply stunning

P1520476.JPG
Further up the glen

With enough photos taken, I continued up hill. Lots of wee lochans covered the top of the hill and the summit of Beinn Caithline was now in full view. For quite a while I thought it was the summit I was aiming for, until the top of another hill came into view. I was pondering for a while which hill this could be. It looked far too steep to be Stob Dubh. Convinced that it wasn't I continued the walk and enjoyed the amazing views to all directions.

P1520477.JPG
The walk continues up

P1520478.JPG
I could not get enough of the views

P1520488.JPG
Wee lochans

P1520485.JPG
Looking ahead with Stob Dubh to the right

P1520577.JPG
Me

P1520517.JPG

It was impossible not to stop and take photos and name the peaks around me. Getting closer to the point I had thought was the summit, I soon realized that I had been wrong. The 'steep' point I had first seen, was in fact Stob Dubh. It started to look less intimidating closer up, but still quite some distance away.

P1520490.JPG
Stob Dubh

Getting closer I had to loose some height (always seems unfair) before the last climb to the summit of Stob Dubh began. Sticking to the grassy sloped it was a slog, but not as bad as it had first looked.
Finally at the top, the views across the mountain of Glencoe were impressive. I found a sunny yet wind still spot and while having a late lunch just recharged my batteries with mountain views. I was amazed that I had not seen a single soul and it was more than I could have hoped for. Having the whole mountain and summit for myself felt just about right after all those months of absence.

P1520503.JPG
The cairn

P1520501.JPG
Summit views

P1520510.JPG
Views back

P1520551.JPG
During the walk back

I returned the same way, but to make it slightly different I climbed the wee summits I had previously left out, just to get some other views. As I had wanted to visit An Grianan on the way down, I took the steeper route downhill which was a mistake. My knee which had been doing great on the way up now started to bother me and I had to take it really slow. I was probably slower down than up, but I did not wanted to take a risk. Needless to say I did not do the short scramble up An Grianan, which was a shame, but better save than sorry. I was relieved when I reached the flat ground again and my knee eased off a bit.

P1520602.JPG
The steep down climb

P1520606.JPG
The burn on the way back

Reaching the emerald pools a group of boys were enjoying a swim and gave me a cheery wave when I walked past.
The sun was still beating down the sky when I drove home through lovely Glen Etive and the roads up north I had missed so much. I really hope this will be the start to a great summer and a final end of lock down.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Re: Stob Dubh - an amzing view point high above Glen Etive

Postby litljortindan » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:09 pm

Good choice! I wonder what Glen Etive will be like at the end of the year.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Mountainlove » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:17 pm

litljortindan wrote:Good choice! I wonder what Glen Etive will be like at the end of the year.

I really hope people will be more respectful and don't leave litter when they leave. It's such a beautiful area
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby gaffr » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:27 pm

A good choice for this hill after not getting out much recently. It was one of the Etive Corbetts that we were trying to get fit on for one of our Corsican visits several years ago. Although short from the SW it is a probably bit steeper than from elsewhere.
Descent from Stob Dubh Glen Etive (2).jpg
Marif above Glenceitlein cottage heading for Stob Dubh.jpg

Apols.got the descent image before the ascent one.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Mountainlove » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:55 pm

The shorter route looked brutal from the summit... But a good choice to get fit fast! Saying that I would prefer it up apart from down :lol:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland