walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Good for the first after a long lockdown.

Good for the first after a long lockdown.

Postby RachaelMac » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:13 am

Route description: Cairn-mon-earn, Durris Forest

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cairn-mon-earn

Date walked: 18/04/2021

Time taken: 2.17 hours

Distance: 7.82 km

Ascent: 223m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a long lockdown stuck in Aberdeen city I was looking for somewhere I could take a leisurely stroll up after an adventure to Lochnagar on the first day of freedom.

A sunny Sunday was forecast and everywhere around would be swarming with people so I chose this one as a little known walk in the hope that it wouldn’t be too busy and I lucked out in that regard. One other car in the car park when we parked up despite our late start.

An easy path for most of the way that is also used as a rally track on the day of the Grampian stages of the Scottish rally so the route to that has been repaired and well maintained. After the second junction and much nearer the top there is some water damage evident on the path but very easy to pass.

Fantastic views at the top with the trig to be bagged first and then a view point off to the west as well with a small cairn.

We met more people on the way down than we had seen so far all day. Must be a walk for after Sunday lunch for those nearby,

All in all an easy top bagged and a lovely day out for us. I will return here solo for some quick hill training on days I am short on time I think.
Attachments
63E909BC-951C-4EE7-BAB1-B4BAF664B491.jpeg
Fantastic path for most of the route.
95910E87-FA8C-488A-A1FB-ED885852074F.jpeg
RachaelMac
Mountaineer

Munros:17   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:15   
Islands:21
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland