walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Moruisg and Sgurr nan Ceannaichean

Moruisg and Sgurr nan Ceannaichean

Postby Lapka88 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:07 pm

Route description: Moruisg and Sgùrr nan Ceannaichean

Munros included on this walk: Moruisg

Date walked: 18/04/2021

Time taken: 5.25 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 1015m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

First Munro picked as travel restrictions eased. My work colleague Gregor was in Forres for 630 and we were ready to head North West. He hadn't done a Munro yet but was far fitter than me, especially after I had recently put on weight, and lots of it. I thought throw myself back in and lets go to the hills.

For some reason Moruisg has been catching my eye for a while, steep, bog trot and pathless, all big X's on my wish list but it had a pull about it. If we get any views we will surely see into Torridonia, the Mythical land of the Elite and Exciting hills. I wanted to show that off to him to get him hooked too.

At around 9 we pulled up to the side of Moruisg in the Lay-by. Unfortunately at this moment I realised in our excitement on travelling I had forgotten to pick up the trusty Tesco meal Deal so no food amongst us! For hungry loons this was a shocker, so off to Loch Carron 14 miles away to pick up supplies.

Loch Carron.JPG.png

Disaster, on a Sunday this is now only open from 10am, a few stones skimmed and a drive around the Applecross Peninsula soon saw time disappear and a couple of trustee sandwiches and pies stuffed into the back. Attempt 2 here we go.

A fine start under a very low railway bridge and a bit of a bog trot along the hill I knew Gregor's pace was already a bit quick, we plodded through the chocolate fudge cake of a walk to the base of the hill across the moorland for maybe 30 mins. As a bit of a numbers and stat geek I knew after 2 miles we would be at height. 0.6 in. Bugger.
We could see a red jacket and a black figure a bit below and had eyes for them. But at the same time, Christ is that the way, its a blooming straight direct up the gully, oh crap I'm already goosed.
Moruisg.jpeg

Moruisg slog.png

A Fair few breathers later we yomped up the Gully the two we cast eyes on earlier now well out of sight, we bumped into a couple from Elgin who like us had chosen Moruisg as their first out of Moray trip but said the two in front had eyes on the Corbett as did we. I tell myself 90 mins will get you to the top of most hills and we were quickly creeping up on that with a fair bit to go.

After we battered on (me severely struggling) by this point blowing out my rear blow hole we soon got to the first of the Cairns, there are two one small one huge the huge one is the now infamous Cairn of Donnie Campbell, but even in the Clag we could see it rose up to the right. It must have been very bad vis for him.

dc cairn.png

So a quick photo and off we trotted in search for the smaller top Cairn. The previous pain and suffering a sheer memory. Ruel 1 of hills, dinna greet cos you have to get to 3000 feet. Are we sacking off the Corbz? No chance, we are up now.
Photo done 2 hours in off round the Ridge to the Corbett.

The ease of going along the ridge is a great feeling, a nice soft soothing sponginess with a bit of a downhill. A chance at the Bealach to take it in, Jesus this Corbett looks massive from here, covered in Snow, a nice Conical peak.
Sgùrr nan Ceannaichean.jpeg

Anyway up we went it looked way worse than it was as this at least was part pathed. This is more like it actually get some push back from the legs. But once again Gregor was a mere speck in the distance, me crying about how many Pizza Pan 16" bad boys I had tackled in the last 6 months since my last Munros and the extra 2 stone I gained.
In the Clag I heard 'aye aye how ya deein' and that was us at the top and caught up with the Red Jacket as they had their lunch.

We took a quick photo to remember our achievements and popped to another cairn, the is this higher or is it a viewpoint visibility is 50 feet so no idea. We decided to descend off this end and round and found a fine spot for lunch. As the mist rolled in we noticed how cold it was, we had stuck to hats, buffs and hoodies and hadn't needed our waterproofs or jackets, 3 hours in its all downhill from here.

I am always a bit unsteady/slippy when it comes to descending in the mud. I let out expletives and panics knowing I am only going to go flat against the bog, its something I can't explain why, but it happens, and it is usually a moral booster for others. I must have slipped about 15 times, we bushwacked a little and I had a calamitous River Crossing slide tackled by the invisible man, splat 15 and a half stone smashed to bits. oocha, thats a sare one both poles bent, Back on the bog trot. Soon we descend into the Red velvet moss and every so often a boot is covered completely by the mud. A few heel sliders and a few more slide tackles come my way ankle rolled but again oocha thats a wee sprain, blooming heck what a nick. Back on the bog trot.

We waded through the mud using the transmitter/mast on the opposite hill to gauge our height and soon we were heading back along the flat catching fleeting glimpses of Red Jacket and his partner. Despite us not exactly following the path, seeing them and seeing the car was a welcome sight.

Despite the struggle we were still ahead of the walk highlands time. I can't help but think an extra 15 minutes longer and I could have been a bit less cumbersome on the way down and be less sore today whilst typing this.

The Gibby.jpeg
Me.jpeg

But its great to be back in the hills.
Total Time 5hrs 15
7.48 miles
Ascent (Garmin) 1015m
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Lapka88

Munros:94   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:19   
Islands:4

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland