walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vane , a wee munro with a bite

Ben Vane , a wee munro with a bite

Postby AndyHam » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:08 pm

Route description: Ben Vane, from Inveruglas

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vane

Date walked: 19/04/2021

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 913m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Making use of the longer days we decided to bag Ben Vane late on a Monday afternoon , hopefully missing the crowds who had packed the hills at the weekend following Covid19 restrictions being lifted.
It had been a nice clear , warm day in the central belt but had started to cool a bit by the time we arrived at the Inveruglas car park , which , was empty bar two or three cars. There is a parking charge however the machine wasn't working on this occasion.
At 16:00 I set off accompanied by my daughter and Mario my 12 year old staffie/mastif cross.
It's a 2.2 mile walk from the car park to the start of the path up the hill. There is construction work going on beside the road up so beware of diggers and trucks.
The path up the hill is steep from the off , rising quickly. The further up you go the path becomes quite eroded in places making it loose under foot. As you near the summit there are a few sections that you need to scramble/climb.
By this time the wind had got up and was blowing a gale , so much that my daughter felt she was going to get blown over.
I'm afraid the dog was showing has age at these obstacles and struggling to get up. He absolutely hates being lifted and at one point he turned back , tail between his legs. He was coaxed along with dog treats and a helping hand pushing him up at times.
We reached the flat summit after 2hr 30min. The strong wind meant my jacket went on and we didn't linger. After a few photos we started back down.
The steep eroded path presents challenges on the way down too. The loose surface demanding concentration to avoid slips.The dog handled the decent much better than I did.
We got back to the car at 20:30. Mario flopped onto the back seat exhausted and he's still knackered as I write this a day later.
We didn't see a soul on the hill and I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of litter.
In summary , this is a tough wee munro and not a hill you can go for a casual walk up.
Due to its steepness you will require a reasonable level of fitness and be confident scrambling and hauling yourself up eroded sections.
AndyHam
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Ben Vane , a wee munro with a bite

Postby kevsbald » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:31 pm

It’s a tough wee hill, no doubt. Hope pooch forgives you.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland