walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Castle Crag

Castle Crag

Postby Derek T » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:18 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Castle Crag

Date walked: 12/03/2011

Time taken: 1.3

Distance: 4.8 km

Ascent: 225m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was my second walk of the day, Whinlatter being the first. I was in tick-off mode :?

I parked at the church in Grange and set-off along the old road towards Rosthwaite following the signs for the camp site. This is a nice walk and the going is good all the way along the old stone road up to the col between Castle Crag and High Spy. From there the ascent steepens considerably up towards the old slate spoil heap where you join the zig-zag path up the loose scree all the way to the summit.

There is a vantage point near the summit with a fantastic view of Borrowdale and then another 5 minutes up around the edge of the old quarry to the summit and its WWI memorial cairn.

I don't normally like to see construction on the summit of a hill but this one seems to be a fitting tribute to the young lads of Borrowdale who bought it in the Great War.

The descent is back down the way you come up.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Castle Crag from old road from Grange.jpg

Castle Crag summit quarry spoil-heap.jpg

Castle Crag summit cairn war memorial.jpg

Borrowdale from Castle Crag.jpg
Derek T
Munro compleatist

Munros:22   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:55
Wainwrights:100   

Re: Castle Crag

Postby susanmyatt » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:36 pm

This is still one of our favourite fells, small can be nice :lol:
susanmyatt
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:94
Wainwrights:141   

Postby Paul Webster » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:12 pm

A favourite of mine too, camped on the summit once which was magical. Good to visit Millican Dalton's cave on the east flank too.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:68   Donalds:45
Sub 2000:117   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:134   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby MarkJ008 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:53 pm

Have to say, it's also a bit of a favourite of mine as well. Last time I went up, we'd been up Great Gable from Seathwaite earlier, and it was on the way back to the B&B. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Nearly killed us off. But that great view down Derwent Water made it all very worthwhile.
MarkJ008
Munro compleatist

Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:14   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland