walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

beinn fhada

beinn fhada

Postby mgmt! » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:54 pm

Route description: Beinn Fhada, from Morvich

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Fhada

Date walked: 12/03/2011

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1140m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

with a favourable weather report from mwis five of us set of from the kintail outdoor centre with the plan of doing beinn fhada and its neighbour a ghlas bheinn. i was following a route from cameron mcneish,s munro,s book. we made good way up the gleann choinneachain, we made our way past the waterfall and noticed a cairn and path to to the coire an sgairne ( more later ) to the bealach an sgairne. we started the assent of the crags towards the top meall a bhealaich, these crags were steep and ice axes had to be deployed to help us gain this top. the wind started to really pick up and the spindrift was blowing east to west across us. we crossed a few knolls before the finall pull up to the plateau, the wind, snow and spindrift was making it difficult as we walked round the plateau to the summit cairn. so much for the forcast.
as we made our way back toward the bealach we were concious of keeping right of the crags as the route we took up i dont think would have been safe on decent, after much sliding and traversing we got to the bealach, by this time the snow was really heavy, wind was still high and we decided enough was enough and headed back down to the outdoor centre.
once back, and over a cuppa, two girls from the club were asking what route we had taken, as they had attempted beinn fhada too but aborted at the ridge. they were wondering why we took the path to the bealach an sgairne and not the path up coire an sgairne ? i got out my book to check my route, although the route describes going up the stalkers path in the coire an sgairne, the map illustration doesnt. that said with the weather the way it was it would have been foolhardy to try for a ghlas bheinn and the little bit of scrambling up the crags was fun. note to self, read the route decription !!

managed to get some photo,s on
Attachments
P3120023.JPG
crossing the allt coire an sgairne on the way down
P3120021.JPG
a bit wild at the summit
P3120020.JPG
approsching the plateau
P3120019.JPG
fuel stop before the final assent to the plateau

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

mgmt!
Mountaineer

Re: beinn fhada

Postby mgmt! » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:09 am

dont no how but ive managed to get some photo,s of saturdays walk uploaded, the weather was horrendous so nice views werent an optionn, summit photo might give you an idea of the conditions.
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby jonny616 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:18 am

Well done for getting anywhere.

I was ment to be walking in Orchy on saturday, but couldn't get my car off the drive :(
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby Alastair S » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:57 am

jonny616 wrote:Well done for getting anywhere.

My sentiments too. That summit photo does a good job of showing the conditions.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland