walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Is this the prettiest short, level walk in Scotland?

Is this the prettiest short, level walk in Scotland?

Postby MusicalHiker » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:45 am

Route description: Loch Coulin and Loch Clair

Date walked: 25/04/2021

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 9 km

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was my husband's birthday last Thursday, but he was busy with business calls all day so we decided to wait until the weekend, and then go somewhere pretty for a picnic.

If it was up to me I'd have chosen a mountain to climb, but he's older than me and isn't keen on long walks or ascent so I located the prettiest flat walk I could find, not too long, and made us a picnic.

We arrived in sparkling sunlight at about 9.30 am, and apart from a camper van had the car par to ourselves. Off we went down the track, which we'd passed many times and always wondered what was down there! The views were already pretty as we crossed the bridge.

DSC_5282.jpg

DSC_5283.jpg

DSC_5284.jpg
Did I wish I was up on Beinn Eighe? Yes, a bit!

We followed the tarmac track around the edge of Loch Clair, and the water was so still that the reflections were very clear and beautiful. Views of Beinn Eighe and Liathach were stunning.

DSC_5288.jpg
DSC_5289.jpg
IMG_1917.jpg
Panoramic on the phone - superb viewpoint!

We came to the end of the loch, and walked along the river towards the second loch, Loch Coulin. This loch is quite low at the moment, as it's been dry, but there were lots of birds around the water, and willow warblers singing. I had taken the big camera rather than the binoculars.
DSC_5291.jpg
DSC_5296.jpg
DSC_5297.jpg
The track then became a smaller path and headed away from the water, across a sunny grassy expanse, towards the point at the far end where we passed to the right over a bridge and among some pretty houses, said hello to some young Highland Cows, and started to return along the other side of the loch.

Once we'd turned the corner, we found a log to sit on for lunch, spotting a tick on Trevor's trouser leg before it managed to get any further! SQUISH!

At this point, a lizard came scampering up to our feet, and just sat there, for twenty minutes while we ate - it was still there when we packed up and left.... we are from the Northern Isles and this was the closest I'd ever seen one. What a lovely wee thing.

DSC_5298.jpg
Picnic spot
DSC_5304.jpg
DSC_5315.jpg
DSC_5316.jpg

After lunch we wandered back along Loch Coulin towards the bridge near Coulin Lodge, where I was slightly alarmed by the BEWARE OF THE DOGS sign - but none appeared, thankfully! Then it was back along the track again to the car, stopping for tea and cake by the river. The light was different by now, with no reflections on the water as there were ripples now instead in the gentle breeze.

DSC_5333.jpg

IMG_1932.jpg

Back to the car 3.5 hours later, had a paddle in Loch Maree on the way home, then a lazy evening making drop scones. Trevor declared it one of his favourite walks ever, so that was good too!

IMG_1928.jpg
Attachments
DSC_5338.jpg
MusicalHiker
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:22   Islands:22

Re: Is this the prettiest short, level walk in Scotland?

Postby Jim777 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:07 pm

Great pictures and I just love your wee lizard friend - never seen one in the wild before. Thanks for that.
Jim777
Mountain Walker

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:02 pm

Great pics and a great day. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby MusicalHiker » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:20 am

Jim777 wrote:Great pictures and I just love your wee lizard friend - never seen one in the wild before. Thanks for that.

Thank you! I’ve caught glimpses of lizards before; usually a tail disappearing into the grass, but this one was quite happy to pose while we ate lunch- lovely to see although it did have 4 ticks attached which must affect it somehow, being so small....
MusicalHiker
Mountain Walker

Postby litljortindan » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:14 pm

Don't know if it is the prettiest short, low-level walk but must be a contender for the title. Very nice reflections at the start and a very nice lizard!
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Jaxter » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:07 pm

Oh I love this walk - I did it in similar conditions to you, but being later in the year there were some pesky midges and the odd cleg around! Impressed with your lizard photos - we've seen plenty recently but they always seem to run away before I get a proper look, let alone a photo (waiting for Malky to insert comment about me being too loud :roll: :lol: )
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby MusicalHiker » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:48 pm

Jaxter wrote:Oh I love this walk - I did it in similar conditions to you, but being later in the year there were some pesky midges and the odd cleg around! Impressed with your lizard photos - we've seen plenty recently but they always seem to run away before I get a proper look, let alone a photo (waiting for Malky to insert comment about me being too loud :roll: :lol: )

That lizard was a total poser - just sat there while I got down and stuck a lens in front of it! I don't think it would have minded if I'd burst into song or started dancing :lol:
We were lucky there were no midges... maybe a little bit early yet, there was no wind so I guess they haven't hatched out... or you never know, maybe all the frost has killed them off... we can only hope!
MusicalHiker
Mountain Walker

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland