walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A little rocky gem in Glen Cannich

A little rocky gem in Glen Cannich

Postby MusicalHiker » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:40 pm

Route description: Sgòrr na Diollaid, Glen Cannich

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgòrr na Diollaid

Date walked: 26/04/2021

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 7 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A beautiful morning, my husband's birthday, and I was up at 5.30 making a picnic lunch. It was a big day, because I hadn't climbed a proper hill since last August, due partly to my left knee being strange..... for no obvious reason, it had suddenly become painful when I put weight on it, and back in December and January I couldn't walk more than half a mile without feeling like I had to stop. However, it seems to be easing, whatever it is, and after building up to a couple of 2-3 hour treks without much discomfort I decided it was time to see what happened if I went up a hill....

It may have been Trevor's birthday but he was occupied with Business, so we waited until the following Sunday to have a day out together (Loch Clair and Loch Coulin) and so I abandoned him on his birthday to climb Sgorr na Diollaid instead!

This time my companion was Amy, who hadn't climbed it yet either, so we met in Cannich and drove over to the bridge over the river at Muckrachd, the start point for the steep hike up the grassy slopes.

IMG_1859.jpg
The start - straight up the slopes
IMG_1863.jpg
Rocky hillside as we climbed higher

I hadn't slept very much because I was worried about my knee, and also because whenever I get up incredibly early I don't sleep so well - it's the excitement - and of course the silly knee was aching as we set off, but soon the aches faded away and it felt better for being used. Relieved, I carried on climbing, being a little unfit for this at the moment.....
IMG_1864.jpg
Morning sun on the rocks
IMG_1865.jpg
Looking back into Glen Cannich

The weather was glorious, and there was the odd meadow pipit, tweeting away in the heather. There was no path so it was a case of bashing on through knee deep heather, up over a knoll that we probably should have gone around, and carrying on up the next section which had some photogenic rocky slabs and a slight easing of the gradient.
IMG_1867.jpg
River heading towards Cannich
IMG_1869.jpg
Rocky hillside
IMG_1871 copy.jpg
Sunshine and shadows
IMG_1873.jpg
I seem to have an Amy on my hat
IMG_1875.jpg
Lovely pool in the rocks

There are lots of rocks around the summit, which makes it fun, and the very top is a rocky edge which involves a very tiny and not-at-all-scary scramble, if you fancy it. We left poles and bags at the bottom of this rocky top and went up to sit for a bit admiring the views into Strathfarrer, and as far as the Kessock Bridge, which we could see glinting in the sunshine down the Beauly Firth.
IMG_1876.jpg
Approaching the summit area
IMG_1880 2.jpg
Getting near the top....
IMG_1882.jpg
Photogenic rocks
IMG_1884.jpg
The top!

For once I had someone to take a photo of me and Bea! We sat and ate lunch at the bottom of the summit rock, out of the wind. It was very peaceful.
IMG_1886.jpg
Summit views
IMG_1887.jpg
Looking into Strathfarrer
IMG_1890.jpg
Rather special lunch view
IMG_1891.jpg
Looking back at the summit

On the way back, we made our way across to the lower top and down from there, negotiating a peaty bog and hopping between tussocks of grass. By the time we got to the bottom I was very glad to stick my feet in the river by the bridge, before the drive back to Beauly. My knee was a little achey the next day, but nothing that would stop me getting out there again soon.

The best thing about it - we were the only ones up that hill on Thursday, and it was so beautiful and quiet. I got home for lunch and then worked until about 7, giving people violin lessons on zoom - it's good having mornings free!
MusicalHiker
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:22   Islands:22

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland