walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Small but mighty - Beinn Meabost & Beinn nan Carn

Small but mighty - Beinn Meabost & Beinn nan Carn

Postby Jaxter » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:05 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Beinn nan Carn, Ben Meabost

Date walked: 12/04/2021

Time taken: 4.4 hours

Distance: 6.68 km

Ascent: 383m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous day - lost villages and a spectacular sunset

I poked my head out of the door to see if sunrise was going to be any good – it looked promising so I grabbed the camera and snuggled down on the picnic rug in my sleeping bag to enjoy it.

Red bouncy light on Bla Bheinn

Sun about to rise

Beinn Sgritheall

Lift-off 8)

Back in the tent, Malky was hiding from the world :lol:

I was dozing for a while, until I heard this crunch nearby….turns out the locals highland cows had decided to have breakfast here :lol:

It was a bit unnerving when they stared at us, but they basically ignored us and carried on eating :lol:

After some tea and breakfast, we packed up the tent. It was a stunning morning 8)

Beinn Meabost
2.61km
201m ascent
2 hours 15 mins

As we were packing up some of the locals arrived to cut peat, so we got ourselves out of the way quickly and drove a few metres up the road to leave the car at the start of the path for Ben Meabost. It went up steeply but at least the ground was relatively good

Looking down the road towards Elgol and Rum

Looking across Loch Eishort to Beinn Sgritheall and Kintail

Beinn Dearg Mhor above Torrin

It was very steep, but the distance was also very short and before too long we can broken through the crags and were onto the plateau

Suddenly we were on what could have been the summit….and wow :shock:

Looking back

Beinn Sgritheall and Kintail and Knoydart

We wandered over to the cairn where the view was even better – what a viewpoint to the Cuillin 8)

Eigg and Rum

Soay & Canna

Beinn Dearg Mhor

Bruach na Frithe, Am Basteir & Sgurr nan Gillean

Sgurr nan Eag & Gars-Bheinn

Sgurr na Stri with the Cuillin Ridge behind

Soay and Gars-bheinn with the Southern Western Isles behind

It was stunning and we could have sat there for hours but eventually we headed back down a similar route

The Kylerhea Grahams with the Monar hills behind

The Kintail sisters and Beinn Sgritheall

Eigg with Ardnamurchan behind, and Tiree to the right

We wound our way through the crags

Before long we were back at the car – what a hill :shock: 8)

Beinn nan Carn
4.07km
182m ascent
2 hours 25 mins

After a good rest and some lunch we decided I might have another short walk in me – Malky was back at work the next couple of days so if I crashed out then it didn’t matter too much :roll: We drove down the Heaste road and parked just at the top of the village and headed up the side of the fence

Other than a couple of squishy sections, the ground wasn’t bad and there were traces of path all the way around the fence. The views across Heaste were fabulous 8)

Looking across to Ladhar Bheinn

Looking ahead to Beinn nan Carn

We were thinking about following a burn up but decided to take the next one

We broke from the fence and headed up grassy runs through the heather. The ground wasn’t anything like as bad as we’d thought it could be and we were making reasonably good progress

Looking down Loch Hourn with Ladhar Bheinn on the right

We found a series of grassy dykes which made for nice easy walking over a lot of the ground

At last on the summit plateau we could see down Loch Eishort to Rum

Applecross and Torridon

Looking straight down Loch Hourn – Beinn Sgritheall and Ladhar Bheinn either side 8)

The summit was just a short distance ahead

Bla Bheinn with the Cuillin behind

Bla Bheinn

Beinn na Caillich

The Storr

Summit of Beinn nan Carn

We sat and enjoyed the rest of our lunch and the views for a while – it was another absolutely stunning hill. Whoever said it was all about size was definitely wrong :lol:

Malky is actually smiling!

Applecross and Torridon

The hills above Achnashellach

We headed back to the ridge before trying a different route down

Looking out towards the lochs – there was a track up to them, and although it would have been a much longer walk, it might have been easier

We picked up traces of an ATV track which led us along the ridge – we thought to drop down a bit closer to the end of the fence and avoid any extra ascent – it probably didn’t make much difference in the long run but made a bit of a change

We found a collection of paths and grassy dykes that led us right down the side of the burn – if we went up again it would definitely be this way!

Back at the car, we had a drive down to Heaste – it was a lovely place – before the drive home. What a cracking few days 8)
Attachments

activity_6595318712.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

activity_6595316786.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Small but mighty - Beinn Meabost & Beinn nan Carn

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:23 pm

"It was stunning and we could have sat there for hours..."

I could imagine viewing that lot over days! Just unbelievable weather. The pics have me drooling. Just hope the weather does the same for me in the last week of May....
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby litljortindan » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:23 pm

Some very nice photos. I particularly like the ones with Eigg and Rum in, just the patterns on the sea and the patches of cloud above.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Jaxter » Tue May 04, 2021 7:16 pm

Alteknacker wrote:"It was stunning and we could have sat there for hours..."

I could imagine viewing that lot over days! Just unbelievable weather. The pics have me drooling. Just hope the weather does the same for me in the last week of May....

I hope you get lucky!! One of the less crappy things about Long Covid (certainly on a day like this) is that it makes me sit around whether I like it or not :lol:

litljortindan wrote:Some very nice photos. I particularly like the ones with Eigg and Rum in, just the patterns on the sea and the patches of cloud above.

thankyou - yes the conditions couldn't have been better, and Eigg and Rum always look amazing from that angle 8)
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland