walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creag Ruadh (a quickie Kinloch Laggan graham)

Creag Ruadh (a quickie Kinloch Laggan graham)

Postby gld73 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:51 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Creag Ruadh (Kinloch Laggan)

Date walked: 26/04/2021

Time taken: 1.8 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 400m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

3 days of beautiful sunny weather on the 3 days I'd been working in Kingussie ....then Monday morning came, and so did the rain and clouds. Grrr! Still, it might not have been a day for munros, or maybe even corbetts, but there was a quickie graham nearby I still hadn't done and conditions were good enough for that - Creag Ruadh. It had never been on my radar when I'd been down the road on previous occasions to do the munro or corbetts from Garva Bridge or Melgrave, otherwise I'd have done it already as an easy addition on the drive there or back.

Quickest way up and down would be to park at Sherrabeg on the Laggan to Garva Bridge minor road, though just to make it slightly longer, I parked a couple of kilometres away, near the Spey dam, and walked along the single track road to Sherrabeg. I knew the route involved heading for a gap between forestry areas, but as I approached Sherrabeg, I couldn't for the life of me see a gap. And even when I went through the gate into the field (sheep and lambs in this one) and headed over to the next gate, I still couldn't see a gap.
APDC8143.JPG
View west to Creag Ruadh and Sherrabeg from the walk along the road

APDC8144.JPG
Through the first gate and into the field ...still not an obvious break in the forestry visible, but it is there as you follow the track

Fortunately the grassy track is easy enough to follow and goes up alongside the trees, avoiding ploughing through the forest. There are some traces of paths continuing towards the hill after that, but by then the hill is directly in front and I just made my own way over on a fairly direct line (one deer fence to climb over). The terrain was quite pleasant walking all the way, nothing too swampy or too deep in vegetation.
APDC8145.JPG
Looking back once I'd passed all the forestry area and climbed over that deer fence

The wind increased markedly as I emerged on to the summit area, so I wandered over to the trig point but didn't hang around for too long. When I'd originally thought about doing this hill I'd intended to make a circular route of it, but the rain reappearing made me decide heading back the same way was the most appealing option today.
APDC8146.JPG
Creag Ruadh summit trig - view down Loch Laggan

APDC8147.JPG
Heading NE back down the hill, looking over to Glen Markie and Beinn a Chrasgain

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Re: Creag Ruadh (a quickie Kinloch Laggan graham)

Postby aaquater » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:22 pm

It's not easy to link Creag Ruadh with anything else - but that just makes it a perfect hill for a day like this, the walk then devoid of 'I could've gone on'-style regrets :D
aaquater

Munros:74   Corbetts:37
Fionas:40   Donalds:23+12
Sub 2000:52   Hewitts:18

Postby Jaxter » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:05 pm

Nice - I think we have this one down as one I might manage on a good day (although it would be by the easiest route!) I've not been down that way in ages - looks nice despite the rain!
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby jmarkb » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:18 pm

If you are able to, it is really worth visiting Dun-da-lamh as part of this walk - an amazing piece of construction that deserves to be better known.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby gld73 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:28 pm

aaquater wrote:It's not easy to link Creag Ruadh with anything else - but that just makes it a perfect hill for a day like this, the walk then devoid of 'I could've gone on'-style regrets :D

Your walk report doing the hill from the other side was a more interesting route, I'd probably do something like that for variety if I do this hill again (though I enjoyed the route I did, nice easy one for the conditions!)

Jaxter wrote:Nice - I think we have this one down as one I might manage on a good day (although it would be by the easiest route!) I've not been down that way in ages - looks nice despite the rain!

Really hope your recovery speeds up; it's great that you're still getting out in the hills, but it must be so frustrating that you can't do your epic multi-mountain treks just now. There are a few good options for smaller hills in this area, I've been working in Kingussie a bit recently and always try and do a hill before heading back up the A9. Haven't always been lucky with the weather so have sought out grahams and sub-2ks!

jmarkb wrote:If you are able to, it is really worth visiting Dun-da-lamh as part of this walk - an amazing piece of construction that deserves to be better known.

Yes, with hindsight, I should have detoured to see it. Another time!
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland