walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Chaorach and Cam Chreag from Auchtertyre

Beinn Chaorach and Cam Chreag from Auchtertyre

Postby SecondRow » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:11 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Chaorach, Cam Chreag (Auch)

Date walked: 28/04/2021

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 15.8 km

Ascent: 997m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn Chaorach and Cam Chreag 28042021.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Most people do these hill as a trio, along with Beinn Odhar (or for an increasing number of masochists all 5 Tyndrum Corbetts in a day). This had been the original plan on bagging Beinn Odhar during winter several winters ago, but a late start (partly due to an extended cooked breakfast at the Green Welly) ended up limiting our ambitions to 1 summit that day.

This was of no great consequence as I am always happy to return to these hills, they are a short drive and the Real food Cafe is always a draw post walk.

I began the walk at the logical point, where we had exited the hill from the Beinn Odhar walk at Auchtertyre. There is a good wee carpark, just before crossing the bridge to the wigwams and a decent farm track gives some easy ascent before hitting the hills proper.

Photo 1.JPG

Having has a few sunny days on the hill previously, this was more typical Scottish weather, with me initially pulling on the waterproof. The rain eased off and I was treated to a view of the higher hills getting a dusting of snow.

Photo 2.JPG

Photo 3.JPG

Passing some curious cows and numerous gates, I continued until the fork in the track where I took a left, then after the gate tracked the fence up the hill to the higher ground. As others have pointed out, there are the remains of an electric fence which make a handy reference for a good part of this route.

Photo 4.JPG

Although there had been some rain since my last outing, the ground was still decently dry. With easy going I quickly reached the summit of Beinn Chaorach

Photo 5.JPG

From here I continued down to the bealach, again tracking the old fence line. For some reason Cam Chreag looked far more imposing that the first hill, but progress seemed surprisingly quite once going. I found myself doing a double take on spotting this apparently levitating rock!

Photo 6.JPG

The ascent gave good views of Ben Lui, which was still holding a good bit of snow. I have long held a theory that you can see Schiehallion from 80% of Scotlands hills (South of the Great Glen at least). I am starting to think that Ben Lui covers the other 20%.

Photo 7.JPG

Photo 8.JPG

Photo 9.JPG

After munching a roll on the summit, I headed back down to the bealach. Another of my observations has been that there seems to be disproportionately fewer Corbetts, where you can get more than 1 in a single walk easily, compared to Munroes. Beinn Udlaidh and Beinn Bhreac-liath had been the first time I had done 2 in one day. Here I had done 2 before lunch. Another diary day...

From the bealach, I followed a faint ATV track down to the fence surrounding the new native woodland plantation. I was partly thinking where a vehicle had been, there would be a gate, which there was. But to be honest the fence would have been no issue to negotiate either way.

Making my way through along the glen I enjoyed the views of the bigger hills on the other side. This will be a nice walk in years to come once the native trees have been reestablished properly.

Photo 10.JPG

Photo 11.JPG

Following the track I soon reached the original fork in the road and headed back down to the car and the prospect of Stornoway black pudding and chips on the way home.
SecondRow
Walker

Munros:96   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:34
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland