walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Càrn a' Chaochain and Plodda falls

Càrn a' Chaochain and Plodda falls

Postby gld73 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:23 pm

Route description: Plodda Falls, near Tomich

Fionas included on this walk: Càrn a' Chaochain

Date walked: 13/04/2021

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 670m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Great as it'll be when lockdown and restrictions have eased and normality is restored, it has been nice being in the Highlands and enjoying being able to drive on quiet roads, pretty much free of motorhomes, campervans, caravans and hire cars :lol: Single track roads in tourist hotspots will be places to avoid come the summer, so I took the opportunity this day to head to Plodda Falls. You can drive all the way to Cougie, but I opted to do Carn a Chaochain from the Plodda Falls car park as it gave a few extra kilometres of easy walking on such a nice day, and I'd extend the walk at the end to do a walk to the falls themselves as I'd never actually been to them before.

The track from Tomich to the car park is one to do at a slow crawl even if you're not stuck behind a motorhome, due to the size and number of potholes! Arrived at the car park eventually to find just a couple of other cars, and whilst booting up, the occupants of one returned from the waterfall and it was someone I knew from work - so a quick chat first, and then I set off walking to Cougie along the good track. Past the buildings at Cougie I kept an eye out for the little cairn at the side of the track marking the start of the path (thanks to BlackPanther and Strathlassie's walk reports giving photos of this point!) and headed up the hillside, following the nice path up beside the burn, then crossing it and continuing up to come out above the treeline and onto open ground. Through the gate and continuing on, the path became less distinct and very boggy with the snow melt. I lost it completely a couple of times but just continued towards the bealach and came across it again. Plenty patches of snow left in the shaded parts, but it was a lovely sunny day.
APDC8032.JPG
Heading along the track at Cougie

APDC8033.JPG
Wee cairn marking where to leave the track and head up the path

APDC8035.JPG
Path still snow covered in the sheltered parts...

APDC8036.JPG
..but clearer above the tree line

APDC8038.JPG
Nice views back to the Affric hills

APDC8039.JPG
Bit snowier further up, but nothing too deep (looking back the way I'd come up)

APDC8040.JPG
About to head up the slope on the left of this photo towards Càrn a' Chaochain

On getting to the flatter area I headed off up the slopes to the right, heading for the cairn on one of the bumps; not the summit, but a good viewpoint when I got to it. Still couldn't see the summit from there, but continued along, bypassing some of the tops of the lumps and bumps along the way and keeping to the right of the lochan.
APDC8041.JPG
At the first cairn, looking towards the next bump to head for

APDC8042.JPG
I passed to the right of the lochan

APDC8044.JPG
Trig point, but not on the summit

There was a lot of zig zagging to avoid the worst of the bog and the hags, but my boots decided to give up the fight to stay waterproof somewhere along the way. I didn't go up to the trig point, bypassing that top to head straight for the summit, where it was the driest part of the hill and had 2 cairns close to each other. Like the previous day's graham, it was nice to enjoy the views all around and spend a few minutes at today's summit getting the maps out in the nice weather, knowing they wouldn't blow away or turn to mush in rain :D
APDC8045.JPG
2 cairns close to each other at the summit

APDC8046.JPG
North Glenshiel hills

APDC8047.JPG
Affric hills

APDC8049.JPG
Heading back over the bumpy hill towards the lochan to go back down the same way

I headed back pretty much the same way, the ground seeming to be even wetter on the way back. Back at the car in an otherwise empty car park, I dropped my rucksack off and headed to do the 2km loop to the falls rather than just the direct short cut to them. I actually did a slightly longer loop than the waymarked one as I went past the waymarker post and ended up just sticking on the track to go past Plodda Lodge and cottage, before rejoining the intended loop and getting to the bottom of the falls. The snow melt might make for boggy walks up grahams, but it also makes for impressive waterfalls just now :D . The top viewing platform looks almost like a diving board from below, but I found the view from the bottom better than the one from the viewing platform when I headed up there. It was odd heading back to the car and seeing the innocuous wee burn, didn't look at all like a few metres later it could produce such a powerful and impressive waterfall!
APDC8061.JPG
Info board at the Plodda Falls car park

IMG_20210413_171932.jpg
Plodda Falls from lower viewing platform

APDC8056.JPG
Plodda Falls selfie!

APDC8057.JPG
Top viewing platform

APDC8059.JPG
View looking down from top viewing platform
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland