walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Camp at Lochan and walk up Ruadh-Stac Mor

Camp at Lochan and walk up Ruadh-Stac Mor

Postby KieranGaffney » Mon May 03, 2021 10:41 am

Date walked: 02/05/2021

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 893m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walked in on Saturday 1st May, camped by the Lochan and then walked up Ruadh-Stac Mor on Sunday 2nd May.

Highlights:
1. views of the triple buttress
2. an amazing sunset
3. absolutely no midges (!!)
4. hardly a breath of wind.

I have been having some knee pain which along with the clouds closing out any views from the top meant I gave up on Spidean Coire nan Clach. I'll come back for that one.

Very little snow left and the gulley was easily walked up and down by the sides. Quite a lot of walkers and 4 other tents around the Lochan. Pitching spaces are small and rocky.

My times above split into two days and not including stops.
Attachments
IMG_0962(1).jpg
IMG_0960(1).jpg
IMG_0955(1).jpg
IMG_0888.jpg
IMG_0776(1).jpg
IMG_0770(1).jpg
IMG_0765(1).jpg

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

KieranGaffney

Munros:45   Corbetts:1

Re: Camp at Lochan and walk up Ruadh-Stac Mor

Postby gaffr » Mon May 03, 2021 12:40 pm

Fine image of the reflected triple buttresses and highlighting the sandstone and quartzite layers.:-)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland