walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Going further on the Grey Mares Tail

Going further on the Grey Mares Tail

Postby OweyJH1 » Mon May 03, 2021 12:51 pm

Route description: White Coomb by the Grey Mare's Tail

Corbetts included on this walk: White Coomb

Donalds included on this walk: Lochcraig Head , White Coomb

Date walked: 05/04/2021

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 850m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

4D03F58F-F77B-461B-9D36-FDEC59D927FC.jpeg
Brew with a view and Loch Skein
Date: 5/03/2021
Weather: Cold, Icy, bitter northern wind, sunshine
Company: Myself
Rating: 8/10

Having lived in D&G for almost 5yrs, it was a big monkey on my back that I hadn't visited the Grey Mares Tail. Finding myself with an Easter Monday off and all to myself, I set off.

There was only 1 other car when I started and the chill to be encountered was apparent when I emerged from the car, however this was soon nullified by the steep but well-made tourist path. Despite the obvious impressive feature the Grey Mares Tail was, to me, the curving ridge high above were more enticing.

[img]
66A52FAE-8688-4794-86A9-56F72C232588.jpeg
[/img]

The initial climb was tough on stiff legs, but warmed up muscles were then grateful as the path gradually levelled off, and views of the snow dusted amphitheatre above Loch Skein made this all worthwhile. The Loch itself truly is a natural marvel, and I bookmarked this for a visit in less chilly conditions, to enjoy a picnic or two on its shores.

[img]
$matches[2]
[/img]

Skirting the easterly banks, the touch tussocky path soon gave way to scrubby heather and bog that made tough going. I would advise choosing the right conditions for this as any wetter would've been quite unpleasant trudging. I aimed for a fence line that ran adjacent to an old stone dyke. From here I followed this structure, head down against the icy squalls. There was a bright beautiful crisp sunshine flooding the landscape around me, and in between icy blasts I grabbed a quick look to admire.
The ground beside the dyke improved as height was gained, with the surrounding hills starting to provide good shelter to grab a quick brew and bite.

[img]
$matches[2]
[/img]

It wasn't long before I reached the smooth plateau above Loch Skein, which commanded incredible and disorientatingly good views, however the wind was making sure dawdling was of the table, so a quick photo and detour to Lochcraig Head to bag a Donald swiftly followed, before I followed the fence line to Firthybrig head and onwards to White Coomb. There was no other hiker up here, and visibility was incredible. The going was much easier on solid ground, giving me lots of time to admire the surroundings, and acquire great appreciation for the farmers/shepherds who worked on these hills.

[img]
$matches[2]
[/img]

The rounded summit of White Coomb suddenly came upon me and panoramic views to the Galloway Hills, Lake District and Devils Beeftub greeted me. I would have loved to spend longer soaking in the sunshine and enjoying the absolutely astonishing scenery but yet again the wind howled its icy tune into every gap in clothing and I quickly retreated to descend a steep and rocky path. Care is to be taken here.

[img]
$matches[2]
[/img]

After finding a small overhang that offered the best shelter I'd had for the day, I sat with a brew and some lunch to admire Loch Skein and almost see the entire circuit of my walk. I could make out a long train of people now idling up the tourist path towards the Loch, working their Easter eggs off.

[img]
$matches[2]
[/img]

A sense of disappointment fell on me as I realised that the only route back to my car was to rejoin the tourist path and dodge the throngs of people and pushchairs winding up the path. This was the only downside to what had been an extremely rewarding and refreshing maiden hike in the Moffat hills.
Attachments
66A52FAE-8688-4794-86A9-56F72C232588.jpeg
Heading up...
BB976323-7AB8-4541-880E-674FA0BB7576.jpeg
Loch Skein
D13C16F3-74E5-4BFC-86E7-D9928BBA55F4.jpeg
Gaining height above Loch Skein
AE1582C5-8B0B-47CB-855C-CC65FD748B12.jpeg
The vast landscape above Loch Skein
9A1897A7-8D49-4354-80AA-0DACEA358CD3.jpeg
Summit of White Coomb

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

OweyJH1
Mountain Walker

Munros:28   Corbetts:14
Fionas:9   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:14   Islands:20

Re: Going further on the Grey Mares Tail

Postby simon-b » Wed May 05, 2021 7:29 pm

A nice walk that one, OJH. The hills around Moffat are well worth visiting.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Re: Going further on the Grey Mares Tail

Postby thedonalds » Wed May 05, 2021 10:30 pm

At the start of your post you mention the ‘well-made tourist path’ and there’s an interesting (well I think so!) connection between when that path was improved and now. As we all know we have just had a serious outdoors lockdown and the last one before this was during the foot and mouth disease outbreak around 2001 when access to the countryside was severely restricted.

Very soon after access was permitted I can recall heading to the Grey Mare’s Tail, and then on to Loch Skeen, White Coomb, etc, and finding the newly improved path, which had no doubt been worked on by NTS whilst the public were kept off the hills back then. It really did make the ascent a bit easier………a small benefit of that particular lockdown.
thedonalds
Walker

Munros:22   Corbetts:7
Fionas:22   Donalds:87+48
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:26

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland