walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First walk after lockdown - Glen Loin Loop in April 2021

First walk after lockdown - Glen Loin Loop in April 2021

Postby Scougs » Mon May 03, 2021 3:18 pm

Route description: Glen Loin and Coiregrograin, Arrochar

Date walked: 27/04/2021

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 20.5 km

Ascent: 465m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After four months stuck in Edinburgh, I fancied a couple of nights away with a nice walk that's not-too-long and not-too-hilly. This looked to fit the bill.

The weather forecast was a bit iffy, cool for late April with potential showers. I had a leisurely hotel breakfast and headed out at about 10.30am round the head of the loch and up the start of the track.

P1060271.JPG
The head of Loch Long

20210427_111306.jpg
Heading into the glen beneath the pylons

The path climbs steadily but fairly gently. I was glad I'd brought my walking poles, though, and that I'd gone for full hiking boots rather than trail shoes.

P1060272.JPG
Looking back down the glen as the path climbs

P1060273.JPG
The path climbs ahead

Soon enough the highest point is reached - well, the highest point on this stretch anyway.

P1060274.JPG
The view back from the high point

P1060275.JPG
The view ahead from the high point

The path then skirts the edge of some forestry before following a fire break. I know a lot of people don't enjoy stretches like this, preferring open views, but I really like forest walking. The quiet, the aromas, the scuttling wildlife. This was a lovely stretch.

P1060276.JPG
Fire break in the forest

Emerging from the forest, I became aware of the sound of machinery. SSE workers were doing some consstruction, and it soon became clear it was right on the path. They were very helpful, and actually created a walkway for me across the digging work.

P1060277.JPG
SSE work underway

P1060280.JPG
They created a path for me

The track is now in much more open countryside, and you can sense the height. You can see ahead to Loch Sloy Dam, and back to pointy Ben Lomond - capped with cloud at this point.

P1060282.JPG
Loch Sloy Dam

P1060281.JPG
Ben Lomond and signage for the walk

The track climbs, quite steeply at some points, and you are quickly looking some distance back down to where you were walking earlier

P1060284.JPG
Look how far down it is to the SSE work now

Soon after the high point of the walk is reached, and then the descent starts. At this point you leave the track and cross a ford over a burn below a dam.

P1060285.JPG
Fording the burn

From there, it's forestry track, sometimes enclosed, and sometimes with great views of Ben Lomond.

P1060287.JPG
View to Ben Lomond

P1060286.JPG
Ben Lomond from the forestry track

Then suddenly there is a glimpse of Loch Long in the distance through the trees. This moment was nothing short of magical. A gorgeous view, and a reminder of how far I'd walked, and how high I'd climbed.

P1060289.JPG
View down to Loch Long

P1060288.JPG
Loch Long appearing ahead

The track descends gradually and then there is a switchback. At this point I thought I was getting near the end, and it was a surprise when there was a glimpse of Arrochar village through the trees - still way below.

P1060290.JPG
Arrochar. Long Long Hotel on the far left, and the Ben Arthur Bothy pub on the far right.

The track eventually crosses farmland and emerges at the edge of Succoth. At this point the walk directions are to turn left and take a path towards the Arrochar car park. I spotted a sign warning that the path was closed due to construction of a new pedestrian bridge over the Loin Water, but the sign said the work should be complete on 21st March - over a month before my walk. Of course, I didn't discover that it was impassable until I'd walked the path all the way to the burn. To be honest, if you are a bit more nimble than I am, or if there are two of you to help each other, you could probably ford the burn using rocks that are there. I wasn't confident enough and didn't want to land in the mud this close to the end, so doubled back to Succoth and round by the road. There is a path that runs through the edge of the car park, so you're not stuck with the pavement on the busy A83.

P1060293.JPG
View back down Loch Long

P1060292.JPG
View back down Loch Long

I carried on past my hotel and straight to the Ben Arthur Bothy. Bear in mind at this point pubs in Scotland had been shut since last October. This was only the second day they were open, and even then, alcohol can only be served outdoors. The Ben Arthur Bothy had erected an open-sided marquee at the lochside which made for a great end to the walk.

20210427_163045.jpg
Pint at the end of the walk

In summary, this was a fantastic walk, and highly recommended. Apart from the SSE workers, I only saw seven other people - five hikers and two mountain-bikers - all day. The weather turned out very kind as well, considering what the forecast had been - my waterproof stayed tied round my waist.

Considering how crazily busy some beauty spots are at the moment, this one is obviously a well-kept secret. It's right on a main bus route, has a train station about a mile from the start, is accessible from the central belt as a day trip, and has a choice of accommodation and watering holes at the start and finish.

Finally, here's the Strava statistics.

Screenshot_20210427-164131_Strava.jpg
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Scougs
Ambler

Munros:2   
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   

Re: First walk after lockdown - Glen Loin Loop in April 2021

Postby kevsbald » Mon May 03, 2021 8:14 pm

Hi Diane, it’s a lovely route isn’t it? Did this in reverse yesterday on the MTB. If you don’t mind, I’ll Follow on Strava.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland