walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cairnkinna Hill

Cairnkinna Hill

Postby Craiging619 » Mon May 03, 2021 5:38 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cairnkinna Hill

Date walked: 09/12/2018

Time taken: 3.1 hours

Distance: 6.8 km

Ascent: 385m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Climbed this for work on a chilly but sunny day in December 2018. The route up by Riddings Cleuch was ridiculously steep (especially with tripod in hand!) but other than that it was a very pleasant circuit. The best views were North-East towards the Lowther Hills. The valley with the Scaur Water doesn't actually seem to have a name (Glen Scaur?) despite being several miles long, but has some spectacular scenery, especially further up.

I tried to park at Chanlockfoot farm to enable me to head up the track to Woodend, but was accosted by a cheery group of festive revellers who advised me to carry onto the layby at Riddings Cleuch. It was only lunchtime but they looked like they were fairly getting into the Christmas spirit already! 8)

So onto Riddings Cleuch it was. This was rrrrrrather steep! :shock:

Great views up the glen kept me going, along with the knowledge I had to reach the summit soon-ish so the angle of the sun didn't mess up my photos for work...

Finally after 30-40 minutes of pain, the gradient eased off after 350m, with the fence reached at around 385m.

The gradient was much gentler heading up towards the summit of Cairnkinna Hill.

Nearly there. Quick! Run before the cloud comes in and ruins the shot.

Oh, there is no cloud...

As well as the comically large cairn, there is a trig point.

Views were great towards the massive golf ball thing on Lowther Hill.

As it was December the sun was already starting to dip, so I headed back down by the fence towards Woodend Hill.

A big Y, for some reason.

Surprisingly passed a couple of other walkers, sampling the great December sunshine (and biting December temperature).

Views down into the glen were Highland-esque.

Eventually I reached Woodend Farm, where a gentle track leads back down to the road.

You have been warned...

The colours looked autumnal but it was definitely winter by now.

Headed back to the car along the pleasant riverside road.
Craiging619
Hill Bagger

Munros:70   Corbetts:34
Fionas:40   Donalds:42+14
Sub 2000:22   
Islands:21
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland