walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creag Rainich, a straightforward corbett with great views

Creag Rainich, a straightforward corbett with great views

Postby gld73 » Mon May 03, 2021 6:35 pm

Route description: Creag Rainich, via Loch a'Bhraoin

Corbetts included on this walk: Creag Rainich

Date walked: 21/04/2021

Time taken: 4.6 hours

Distance: 17.5 km

Ascent: 720m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beautiful weather, though I didn't know what the snow would be like on the munros - I'd been in this area the previous week and the high hills were still pretty white, with snow melt causing burns and rivers to run high. I decided Creag Rainich was a good option as there were no "difficult in spate" burn crossings, it would give a good view of the surrounding mountains, plus I might as well try and do hills from popular walkers car parks, this being the last week before travel restrictions were lifted.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

There were a handful of other cars but still room for a couple more even at my lazy lunchtime arrival. A couple were canoeists heading for an afternoon on Loch a'Bhraoin, I assume the others were people doing the western Fannichs as I didn't see any other walkers on my side of the loch.
APDC8099.JPG
Heading along the lochside track

APDC8100.JPG
I left the track by this white post, but I immediately lost any faint ATV track and so just headed up and across the hillside, nothing difficult with the terrain.

APDC8101.JPG
Loch a'Bhraoin was like a mirror, great day for the 2 canoeists who'd set off from the car park at the same time as me

APDC8103.JPG
Looking ahead to Creag Rainich from near the minor top of Meall Dubh, Fisherfields now in sight too

APDC8104.JPG
Creag Rainich's summit is a great viewpoint for An Teallach, had a lot less snow on it than I'd expected

APDC8105.JPG
Looking back east to the western Fannichs

APDC8107.JPG
Another look at the Fisherfields on my back down, not sure why I don't have any better photos of the view to the south / south west

APDC8109.JPG
Saw a few puddles with frogspawn in on the way down

APDC8110.JPG
Different descent route to the way I went up, headed directly down towards the house and bothy at Lochivraon to rejoin the track at the end of the loch

I pretty much just followed the Walk Highland route description, so not much else to say. It was a nice straightforward walk, great views back to the Fannichs on the way up, and then of An Teallach and the Fisherfields from the summit. I then descended to the bothy (unlocked, stuck my head in for a look) before heading back along the lochside track.

(When I did this walk in these conditions I thought winter was well and truly over, but nope, I'm writing this a few days later in May and we're still getting more hail and snow since that sunny day!)
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland