walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Manor Valley

The Manor Valley

Postby Coop » Thu May 06, 2021 4:31 pm

Donalds included on this walk: Black Law, Greenside Law

Date walked: 06/05/2021

Time taken: 6.03 hours

Distance: 16.69 km

Ascent: 700m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Testing conditions today.
Kinda followed the SMC guidebook on this one hoping to do the 2 Donalds and 5 tops.
Weather was to be poor today with more snow forecast. The goggles got repacked.
And so off I set over the cattle grid and over the wee bridge and up steeply, mostly pathless.
20210506_080746.jpg
Over the bridge and up

Picked up the atv track and followed this - the snow got deeper and i picked up the fence line to the 1st top. Not much to talk about here.
20210506_090315.jpg
Past the Grouse butt's and followed the atv track round to pick up the fence and up to the 1st top

20210506_093504.jpg
Black cleuch dod summit

The goggles went on and stayed on for a good while. The snow was that crisp snow which sometimes takes your weight but every 2nd or 3rd step you sink in. A pain to walk on
From here it was up to Black law - the first mound.
On I went to the 2nd one and where a fence cut off heading the way I wanted to go to - we'll I went too far!!.
Realised this and stopped and checked where I was. I cut across the hillside to rejoin the fence to head down and then up to the featureless summit of Conscleuch head and then on to the finger summit of deer law.
20210506_111835.jpg
Deer law summit

Headed from here down through and round the heather to the stream crossing where it was a bit swampy
Got on the right of way path and decided to follow the fence straight up rather than go up to Black rig and across
Near the top I cut away from the fence upto the featureless summit of greenside law. The snow had come on heavily - wet type snow - from the stream up. I made my mind up.
Don't bother with the other 2 tops - head north and get down off the hill down into the Manor valley.
I checked my records when I got back and realised I'd already done one of the tops on the way to dollar law from the other side.
Back down and skirted the west side of the trees and crossed the wee burn and onto the track. Through the farm and a nice walk back to the car - which was still on its lonesome.
20210506_130937.jpg
The way back

20210506_132005.jpg
Looking back

Bitch Craig on the left I believe
Ascent ' guesstimate
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland