walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Gentle stroll around Loch an Eilein

Gentle stroll around Loch an Eilein

Postby Jaxter » Fri May 07, 2021 12:42 pm

Route description: Loch an Eilein, Rothiemurchus

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Ord Ban

Date walked: 15/07/2020

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 14.64 km

Ascent: 363m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

During Lockdown, other than being horribly ill, I decided that I would like to understand my camera better, partly so I could take better photos at night, and also because I wanted to take those long exposure photos of waterfalls that everyone else can do :lol:

So far I felt like I understood what to do, but hadn’t had a chance to try it out, as I’d barely left the couch. It was a nice day and Malky wanted to climb a heathery lump (Carn Eilrig). I didn’t – well, there was no way I’d manage it, so we started off together and then he would leave me and my camera to our own devices…

We set off from the parking area at Whitewell, down the track and dropped height past the house (depressingly, as it meant we had to come back up again!) It looked a bit cloudy towards Braeriach…

This is the very end of the Sgor Gaoith ridge (so plans of walking the whole ridge now scrapped due to intense heather :lol: )

A quick pause at Lochan Deo

Despite being a bit overcast the views were pretty nice, and there was plenty of bog cotton around to encourage me to stay on the path :lol:

Nice easy path

Oooh the sun came out 8)

We reached the Cairngorm club footbridge which had some sort of waterfalls!

Malky abandoned me here and left me to potter, while he went in search of heather to fill his boots :lol:

I played around for a while, passed by plenty of walkers and mountain bikers

Eventually I got bored and decided to walk around Loch an Eilein – a relatively straightforward walk that could fill some of the time until Malky was back. I passed this sign and it took me a long time to work out that they were talking about pine cones, not traffic cones :lol:

Although it was beautiful here, it didn’t look so pleasant higher up!

Any excuse :lol:

Despite being broad paths at a low level, it felt really good to be outdoors enjoying the good weather, after so long of being cooped up!

The path dropped down towards Loch an Eilein – great, another bit of ascent on the way back :roll:

I decided to go anti-clockwise, just because, which meant the path climbed for a short distance

Despite being windy higher up, it was fairly sheltered here

Approaching the car park and toilets end of the loch it got a lot busier. I avoided people by following little paths which dropped me down closer to the loch

Time for a rest :lol:

The purple flowers on the heather were lovely, I was just glad that I was only looking at it, not walking through it!

At last I reached the beach – there were people going in for a dip, but not as many as I’d expected!

At this point I realised I was going to have a lot of hanging around if I went straight back, so thought I’d see how I managed Ord Ban – it was only a couple hundred metres ascent so ought be doable, with care, I hoped… I got over the stile and discovered that it was a lot more overgrown than when I’d been up in February last year :shock: But once the climb started the path was much clearer!

Climbing out of the trees

High above Loch an Eilein

Out of the trees, the terrain became more rocky

But the path was clear the whole way

Smashing views towards the Cairngorms

Nearing the summit – breeze was definitely picking up!

South to Loch Inch and Creag Dubh

Finally making it to the summit, the views opened out in all directions 8)

Looking North

Meall a’ Buachaille

Cairn Gorm and the Northern Corries

Summit of Ord Ban!

I hid behind the trig point and had a breather – Malky had sent me some pictures from his heathery lump so I was able to send some back 8)

Sun hitting the Northern Corries

I got going again, heading back down the same way and spent a while trying to take pictures of bees on the flowers. I gave up after I started scaring them away!

Back down into the jungle

Back at the loch I continued on my circuit, sticking to the shores of the loch initially

Wee duck

Carn Eilrig just poking out

The wee crannog on an island

At this point the shores of the loch became a bit overgrown so I headed back to the track to make a bit more progress…

Heading around the tip of the loch

Loch Gamhna

Ord Ban across the loch

Looking back along the shoreline

Sun peeking through the trees

Starting to climb away from the loch again

Eventually I was all the way around and had to climb back up to the main track…. :roll: I was tired…it took a while!

Braeriach had cleared again – in fact it had turned into a beautiful afternoon 8)

The tree has taken over :lol:

Back on the main track, I now had to climb up past the house….ughh….the views of the Lurcher’s Crag were good though!

And looking back (any excuse to stop… :crazy: )

No idea what sort of flower this is, but I liked the colour 8)

A last glance down the Lairig Ghru as I stumbled the last few metres to the car, where Malky had got back only about 10 minutes before me.

It was time to head for home, with a sneaky wee stop at Miele’s on the way, because…reasons :lol:
Attachments

Loch an Eilein & Ord Ban.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Gentle stroll around Loch an Eilein

Postby past my sell by date » Fri May 07, 2021 10:40 pm

Lovely pics of a lovely area. The lone tree looks as if it should have had a part in Lord of the Rings :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby Border Reiver » Sat May 08, 2021 11:35 am

Thanks for this report and great photos. The walk around Loch an Eilean has been a family favourite since the 1950's and we've walked it at least once a year until Covid. My Dad told us that he wanted to walk around Loch an Eilean on his 100th birthday, but he never made it, passing away at 97 yrs. Our family, 15 of us, his children, grandchildren and great grandchildren plan to gather there to do the walk on what would have been his 100th birthday, in November this year (covid etc permitting). Your pics at least keep me motivated until then.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby Jaxter » Mon May 17, 2021 2:00 pm

Border Reiver wrote:Thanks for this report and great photos. The walk around Loch an Eilean has been a family favourite since the 1950's and we've walked it at least once a year until Covid. My Dad told us that he wanted to walk around Loch an Eilean on his 100th birthday, but he never made it, passing away at 97 yrs. Our family, 15 of us, his children, grandchildren and great grandchildren plan to gather there to do the walk on what would have been his 100th birthday, in November this year (covid etc permitting). Your pics at least keep me motivated until then.

It's a lovely walk isn't it - I can see why your Dad enjoyed it. Fingers crossed that November doesn't coincide with the 3rd wave and that you'll be able to meet there :)
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland