walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn an Leth-choin, a Monadhliath corbett top with potential

Carn an Leth-choin, a Monadhliath corbett top with potential

Postby gld73 » Sat May 08, 2021 5:33 pm

Date walked: 26/04/2021

Time taken: 3.8 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 640m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Carn an Leth-choin probably isn't on many people's hill target lists. It wasn't on mine. Not a walk I'd planned, but I'd done a quick graham (Creag Ruadh) in the morning to tick off a new hill and was regretting just doing a quick up-down route. Just because the weather was wet and cloudy was no reason to completely waste the rest of the day! So I pulled over at Laggan just before getting back on the A86 and had a look at my OS map just to see what low level walk I could do on my way home to give myself an extra few miles of walking; It showed a track going from near Cluny Castle north to Glen Banchory, so I thought I'd give that a go. Turns out I might be tempted to go back here sometime as it has the potential to incorporate a munro traverse...

I parked near the Right of Way sign at the start of the track,near Cluny Castle, room for a couple of cars parked carefully to avoid blocking field access. I then just followed the main track all the way north. A grey, showery, cloudy day, it was quite a bleak walk, but not unpleasant, and the first time I'd walked in to Glen Banchory from this western end rather than from Newtonmore.
APDC8148.JPG
Start of the track, on the east side of Cluny Castle

APDC8150.JPG
A bleak walk along a good track

APDC8151.JPG
Still a bleak walk along a good track

My map showed the track going to a small building at Dalballoch, and it was a nice surprise to find this was actually a bothy. It was also a surprise to see the good estate track didn't end there, but continued over the Allt Madagain and up the steep hillside. I popped into the bothy to examine my map in the dry...
APDC8152.JPG
Slightly less bleak as the wee building came into sight. Carn an Leth Choin on the left, Carn Macoul on the right, the munro of Carn Dearg behind Carn Macoul but in cloud

APDC8153.JPG
Dalballoch bothy, and the estate track continuing behind it, west and then north (wasn't shown on my map continuing there)

APDC8155.JPG
I could see the track zig zagged steeply up the slope on the other side of the Allt Madagain

The hill it was heading up was Carn an Leth-choin. I was pretty certain it wasn't a main summit like a munro, corbett or graham as I'd done all the ones down Glen Banchory, and I didn't know how far the track would extend - but it was an easy way up a hill in miserable weather, with the possibility of good views over to the Monadhliath munros, so I decided to follow it. (I've now discovered it's classified as a Tump, Sim and Corbett top).

Plenty of rocks near the ford across the Allt Madagain made it straightforward to cross with dry feet, and I stuck to the track as it headed up, very steeply in parts. I've no idea whether this track made it across the desk of any planning officer, or whether it's just one of those estate tracks which magically grows further and further into the hills ...but it was there and I decided to use it :?
APDC8156.JPG
Carn Dearg still hiding in the clag

APDC8157.JPG
The track came to a pretty abrupt halt near the summit of Carn an Leth-choin

It ended up going all the way to the top area of Carn an Leth-choin (different maps have the summit at either 843m or 844m, I think the newer ones say 844m), a few metres from the cairn, though the ground a little to the north of the cairn looked higher and gave the better views across to Carn Dearg, one of the Monadhliath munros, and Loch Dubh in the corrie below it.
APDC8158.JPG
This cairn was a few metres off to the side from the end of the track, but the high point looked to be just a little further away on that grassy ground

APDC8161.JPG
View down to Glen Banchory to the east, towards the graham Creag Liath

APDC8160.JPG
Still couldn't see Carn Dearg's summit above the corrie with Loch Dubh, but in nicer weather, it looked like continuing round the horseshoe could be a nice route

The viewpoint made me think this way in has good potential for a horseshoe route to go up Carn Macoul, along the ridge to Carn Dearg, and then come round over Carn an Leth-choin to descend back to Dalballoch and Cluny Castle (or vice versa). Just the one munro in the route, but I've done all the Monadhliath munros and a new route to an old hill can be interesting. It certainly looked do-able from what I could see.
APDC8162.JPG
Finally! As I was heading back down Carn an Leth-choin the cloud lifted and Carn Dearg's western side was revealed

But it'll wait for another day. I just headed back to the car the same way, happy my unplanned leg stretch had been a decent walk in itself.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Re: Carn an Leth-choin, a Monadhliath corbett top with poten

Postby jmarkb » Sat May 08, 2021 7:13 pm

Thanks for posting - that's useful information about the parking and access track. I think extending this with a circuit over Beinn a' Chrasgain and Marg na Craige would be worthwhile (up to 5 Corbett Tops for the bagging enthusiast). I have done a wee circuit of Marg na Craige and Blargie Craig from Laggan village before - the walking along the ridge is really nice.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Re: Carn an Leth-choin, a Monadhliath corbett top with poten

Postby gld73 » Sat May 08, 2021 9:21 pm

jmarkb wrote:Thanks for posting - that's useful information about the parking and access track. I think extending this with a circuit over Beinn a' Chrasgain and Marg na Craige would be worthwhile (up to 5 Corbett Tops for the bagging enthusiast). I have done a wee circuit of Marg na Craige and Blargie Craig from Laggan village before - the walking along the ridge is really nice.

Just looked at the map for the hills you mentioned and yes, they did look like a good option too when I was heading up Carn an Leth-choin. On a clear day it would be nice to do them, definitely quieter hills too than the ones done from the main hillwalking car park in Glen Banchory.
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland