walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Between rain and snow

Between rain and snow

Postby martin1909 » Sat May 08, 2021 6:23 pm

Route description: An Socach from Glen Clunie

Munros included on this walk: An Socach (Braemar)

Date walked: 08/05/2021

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 15.44 km

Ascent: 663m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Lockdown is over, the hills are back open for business!

It's been possibly the most sedate winter I and many others have had due to the lockdown so I tried to pick out an easy-ish hill for the year’s first. It was to be An Socach by Braemar.

I headed out early and arrived at the layby on the A93. I was the first one there and set off up the hill.

IMG_1755.JPG
The starting point

The walk from the car park to the path that leads up the hill is a flattish walk with nice views up the glen on a track which is good underfoot. Had it not have been for a flat tyre I would have taken the bike which would have cut probably 1/1.5 hours off the total walk time.

IMG_1756.JPG
Heading up the glen

IMG_1759.JPG
An old bridge now in ruin

IMG_1762.JPG
One of the many small tributary burns into the main river in the glen

IMG_1771.JPG

After crossing the second ford I left the track and headed up a grassy track up to the cairn on Socach Mor. This ascent was fairly continuous in its gradient, not too steep but very boggy at parts. As there is no clear path at this part of the walk I had to make my own way up sheep tracks, through heather and following little streams. At all times though the cairn at the top of Socach Mor served as a point to aim for ensuring I didn’t stray off course.

IMG_1776.JPG
The final ford, only a few metres before the turning point up the mountain

IMG_1777.JPG
Socach Mor Cairn

IMG_1778.JPG
The Cairnwell summit in the distance

After crossing the gradual incline past the cairn the going got steeper as I headed up to the plateau top. After a bit, the path up was indistinguishable and I ended up making my own path up, through some snow drifts about a foot deep. At the top of the plateau I was greeting with cracking views of the Cairngorm Hills Ben Macdui and others in the area. There was a lot of snow falling up there and looking south it looked like torrential rain but so far in the day I had nothing but blistering sunshine.

IMG_1781.JPG
My first look at the plateau

IMG_2090.jpg
The snow on the way up

A half hour walk along the top and I had reached the summit. It earned me a well deserved lunch break as by that point I was absolutely starved.

IMG_1782.JPG
An Socach summit

IMG_1784.JPG
The Braeriach munros

On the way down I retraced my footsteps through the snow back to the other side of the plateau. I descended back down the Socach Mor Cairn and then back down to the low level track back to the main road where the car was parked. It was a good gauge of fitness and I look forward to the next one.

IMG_2103.jpg
Horse grazing by the path

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

martin1909
Mountaineer

Munros:42   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:9

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland