walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob Binnein - my first wintry munro experience

Stob Binnein - my first wintry munro experience

Postby njdunn » Mon May 10, 2021 10:09 am

Route description: Ben More and Stob Binnein

Munros included on this walk: Stob Binnein

Date walked: 07/05/2021

Time taken: 5.22 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1443m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I did my winter skills course a couple of years ago but haven’t really had the chance to practice any winter skills since. There are worse places than Edinburgh to spend lockdown and I have had some fantastic snowy days out in the Pentlands but they are not exactly ice axe territory. I didn’t really expect my first full on winter mountain experience to happen in May but I suppose that’s Scotland for you. It’s been a very cold spring then this week there was fresh snowfall on the tops.

I fancied a nice outing and thought Stob Binnein plus or minus Ben More would be relatively straightforward since I was going on my own (well, I would have Meg the dog with me but she lacks navigation ability even if she does have in-built crampons). I wondered about doing it as a run at first but was put off by the recent snow plus the initial part of the ascent looked unrunnable. And you can carry more stuff hiking including a decent lunch and thermos. I also packed warm clothes, a bivvy shelter, axe and micro spikes. I don't have winter boots and crampons (yet) so knew I'd need to turn around if it was icy.

At the start on the path there’s a memorial stone for a young guy who died on Stob Binnein which certainly gives you pause.

As I set off up the steep slope I felt vindicated in my decision to hike. This was a completely unrunnable gradient. I wasn’t sure I fancied coming back down it being towed by an excited springer spaniel either so started thinking about the alternative route back down the glen to the west. At this point I heard the pitter patter of innov8’s behind me and got overtaken by a runner who hadn’t even broken sweat. I reclassified the ascent from “unrunnable” to “unrunnable for menopausal hill runners who have spent lockdown eating too much home baking”.

The first mile or so was pretty steep then eased off. A man came hiking down and said he’d turned back due to the weather looking grim. He looked fit and very well equipped so I added that to the memorial stone and told myself that turning back is never the wrong decision. Especially on your first winter conditions mountain hike by yourself.

We reached the snow line soon after with the usual “do I or don’t I stop and put spikes on” going on. I figured it was the right time when I asked myself whether I would fancy a slip at this particular point and answered with a resounding NO! It was snowing too so time to get the jacket back on as well. Meg was having a wonderful time rolling around and digging snow holes so all seemed fine in her world.

After a bit of unpleasant blizzarding the clouds cleared leaving a good view of the route to the top and also the surrounding mountains. Just magnificent. It was pretty easy until the final approach. The path was hidden under deep snow and the best route wasn’t that obvious. I followed the innov8 footprints but felt a bit precarious at points and wondered whether to swap poles for axe. Unfortunately I’d made the mistake of packing the axe in the rucksack rather than having it in a side pocket where I could easily grab it. Lesson learned. Then quite abruptly we were at the summit cairn so I took a photo of Meg. I tried to get her to pose looking triumphant and noble beside the cairn but instead got a blurry shot of her in a patch of snow looking dim.

Image2A02BC73-DE4D-4E03-870D-2A28F5814688 by Nicola Dunn, on Flickr
Image9AB4DD26-923A-4851-8CA3-5C7530B7B8CF by Nicola Dunn, on Flickr

Now the decision of whether to bash on and get Ben More too. This was a no brainer. It was right there in front of me and looked pretty easy. Let’s go!

Once down at the bealach I stopped for some tea and a snickers. Ben More looked a bit less easy from this angle. I also sussed out the start of the route down west into the glen which looked rough but doable.

Setting off again the path was under wet snow which balled up under my spikes. It was really quite steep. I suddenly started to feel a bit odd and stopped. Looking back at Stob Binnein I estimated I was maybe half way to the top of Ben More and looking up revealed vey black clouds. I did a bit of a check in. Legs – tick. Both still attached, a little tired but definitely capable of getting me up. But then I’d have to get back down then hike over potentially nasty terrain into the valley. Hmm. Dog – showing definite signs of anxiety and maybe a bit cold. I really did not need a canine malfunction on a 45 degree snow slope. Head – actually not in the game any more. Since I was alone and not bagging summits anyway I reckoned Ben More could wait and turned and picked my way back down again to the bealach.
Image3F3C1623-0D6C-4B19-95B9-8BF2E9D7B971 by Nicola Dunn, on Flickr
From there I headed west and made a very slow descent as it was all a bit of a slippery jumble of wet snow drifts, hidden bogs and holes. There was a short spell where I definitely stopped having fun but fortunately got down below the snow line without mishap. The threatening weather had gone and I found a beautiful spot beside a cascading burn to sit in the sunshine and have lunch. Meg somehow managed to extort most of my cheese sandwich off me by pretending to be starving to death. It seemed incredible to go from battling through a blizzard to basking in the sun within the space of a couple of hours. There was a huge glacial erratic further down which made a good landmark to head for.
Image0E8A0247-205F-4BAC-ADBF-6FD417943803 by Nicola Dunn, on FlickrImageE8F17D0B-CBCD-4E8A-A6F3-E27F6A763DEA by Nicola Dunn, on Flickr
I thoroughly enjoyed the hike back down Glen Inverlochlarig, it was peaceful, sunny and warm. I didn't need to concentrate on every step or worry about playing a starring roll on a MRT Facebook page. I could just soak up the sunshine and....SPLAT. Typically I then had my one fall of the day because I wasn't watching where I put my feet. Luckily Scottish bog gives a nice soft surface for landing on. I love reading about mountaineering and would happily watch the film Everest on a loop (my family don’t quite understand why I like watching men with beards fall off mountains or die of exposure but it’s all so heroic and yet so futile!) but I don’t think I am a natural mountaineer at all, perhaps I am too risk averse to really enjoy the experience! I definitely like my hills to be of the rolling variety. Nevertheless it was a great day out and I may yet invest in some good winter boots.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

njdunn
Stravaiging

Munros:60   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:6   

Re: Stob Binnein - my first wintry munro experience

Postby jmarkb » Mon May 10, 2021 12:48 pm

Welcome to WH!

Nice report - and very honest about your (sensible) decision making.

It's not really that practical to swap poles for axe without taking your sack off - you might want to practise this on steep ground in a safe place. It's also good to be able to anticipate the need for an axe before you get onto the tricky terrain! I would expect that some stiffer winter boots might help you feel more comfortable in this type of conditions (in some cases to the extent that you can avoid using spikes when they are just going to ball up anyway).

Hope you continue to enjoy the hills in winter - it can be a tremendously rewarding experience. If you want to do Ben More on its own, then the NE ridge is more interesting than the interminable slog up from Benmore Farm.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby njdunn » Mon May 10, 2021 1:03 pm

Great advice thanks! In hindsight I know that I should have done the pole/axe swap before the final approach so definitely something to practice.
njdunn
Stravaiging

Munros:60   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:6   

Postby penelope1 » Mon May 10, 2021 1:24 pm

Lovely report and great photos! Well done for summitting Stob Binnein and deciding to leave Ben More for another day...summer is just around the corner :)
penelope1

Munros:222   Corbetts:87
Fionas:6   Donalds:4

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland