walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Speyside Way - Ballindalloch to Craigellachie, return

Speyside Way - Ballindalloch to Craigellachie, return

Postby gld73 » Tue May 11, 2021 10:48 pm

Route description: Speyside Way 3: Craigellachie to Ballindalloch

Date walked: 09/05/2021

Time taken: 8.2 hours

Distance: 40 km

Ascent: 50m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'd been working in Grantown, so just had a short drive in the morning to the nice wee parking area at Ballindalloch / Cragganmore which has an information board, toilet and small camping area by the Speyside Way. The weather had been so changeable recently that I'd decided to play safe and stick low level, though as it turned out, it stayed nice for me all the way to Craigellachie and most of the way back. This section is probably my favourite of the Speyside Way legs done so far, I didn't mind at all doing it return to get back to my car! It was clearly marked and never far away from the Spey, mostly following the line of the old railway close to the river.
APDC8192.JPG
Starting point by the Speyside Way information boards

APDC8193.JPG
Clear from the start you're following an old railway line, this the old Cragganmore stop

APDC8194.JPG
Crossing the Spey by way of the impressive iron box bridge

APDC8195.JPG
I wasn't the only one enjoying the sunshine on the Speyside Way today - came across this slow worm sunning itself!

APDC8196.JPG
The trail is on the west side of the river here, looking east to snow capped Ben Rinnes

APDC8198.JPG
Blacksboat is one of the well preserved old railway stations on the route

APDC8199.JPG
Crossing high above one of the tributaries joining the Spey

APDC8200.JPG
The first distillery passed on this leg is Tamdhu ...

APDC8202.JPG
...which also has another well preserved old railway station a bit further on

APDC8205.JPG
Dalmunach Distillery is the third distillery passed on this route. There were also posters about each of the planets periodically placed on fence posts coming in to / going out of Carron (which I actually found quite interesting, even if nothing to do with Speyside!).

APDC8207.JPG
Crossing back over the Spey, on the Bridge of Carron

APDC8208.JPG
I could have taken a detour through Aberlour village, but I stuck to the trail route which stayed close to the river, continuing on towards Craigellachie

APDC8209.JPG
The trail obviously still follows the old railway to Craigellachie!

APDC8213.JPG
I was nearly at the end of this stage, but I took a short (signposted) detour to see the Category A Listed cast iron arched Thomas Telford bridge, an impressive sight ...

APDC8212.JPG
...before continuing on to the parking area at Craigellachie and the end of the section. I then turned round and headed all the way back ....but I enjoyed seeing it all for a second time too :)
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland