walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Foggy Allermuir Hill

Foggy Allermuir Hill

Postby Malcadicta » Thu May 13, 2021 4:01 pm

Route description: Allermuir Hill and Swanston

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Allermuir Hill

Date walked: 13/05/2021

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 385m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I have managed to pick possibly the worst weather for a walk famous for its views that I thought would make for a nice break outside after I finished off exams and can actually travel somewhere. The morning in Edinburgh looked fine, if a bit chilly, so I just didn't think to double check.

Well, I was welcomed by a thick fog and the entire walk was spent able to see perhaps 20-30m in front of me (at least nearer the top, it was slightly better lower). Granted, it's Pentland Hills and so since it's not a very challenging route I still went and it made for a nice trek. It did involve much more map checking then it normally would since not all forks have signs telling you where they lead and without beeing able to see the surrounding hills it's hard to tell where you want to go - and I have never walked that path before, so I couldn't fall back on memory. still, I wasn't too worried about being lost, at worst I could backtrack or go around (and backtrack I did...), the distances are fairly short everywhere - if it was anything more challenging I'd have gone back and went for a walk elsewhere.

The atmosphere was certainly unforgettable at least :lol: Just you, slightly boggy trail and fog letting you see only nearby shrubbery, in almost complete silence sometimes interrupted by voices of people that you can't see.

IMG_20210513_122317.jpg
The amazing views of the city from the top of Allermuir Hill

Also a bonus cow that almost gave me a heart attack as it suddenly appeared in the fog.

IMG_20210513_115053.jpg
Malcadicta

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland