walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lived here for 7 years before walking The Cut

Lived here for 7 years before walking The Cut

Postby Sierra Sue » Sat May 15, 2021 1:32 am

Route description: Greenock Cut, Inverclyde

Date walked: 02/01/2021

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 11.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having lived in Inverclyde for over 7 years, I’m ashamed to say that this was the first time I’d walked The Cut. I’d walked the nature trail a few times but had no idea what I’d been missing all these years.
It was a fabulously sunny, freezing (literally) day with blue skies and ice on the lochs. The scenery was magnificent, made more so by the sun zero temperatures and frost and ice. We walked clockwise and the first 20 minutes or so was very slow going as it was so icy underfoot...definitely should have worn my crampons.
This is a stunning walk with spectacular views over the Clyde coastline and beyond. The engineering of the Cut is also wonderful to see.
Planning another walk round the Cut when the ice melts and a real thaw sets in.
Sierra Sue
Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland