walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

the cow, the crow, the squirrel and the dunking moorhen

the cow, the crow, the squirrel and the dunking moorhen

Postby litljortindan » Mon May 17, 2021 2:19 pm

Route description: Creag Chòinnich, Braemar

Date walked: 11/05/2021

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 3.5 km

Ascent: 200m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was a day when I fluffed my lines somewhat. I'd thought of climbing one of the Munros south of Braemar but had set off way too early and spent an hour waiting for the rain to abate which, needless to say, didn't happen. I'd imagined the forecast clearing of the sky being visible on the horizon and it simply being a matter of waiting for the right moment to set off but, no, I was sat in the car watching the rain blow past for a whole hour. Got fed up and decided to head back east where it had been brighter.
I also thought maybe the forecast was a bit off and I'd end up driving home but I stopped in Braemar and noticed that it was drying a bit so set off for Creag Choinnich which I'd had in mind for some time but never seemed to get round to. At least I would get a wee bit of exercise for the day.
As I prepared myself a squirrel darted along the pavement in front of me. There are "slow down, squirrels crossing" signs at Fyvie Castle grounds which we often frequent but rarely do we actually see one -two I think in thirteen years of visits! We joke that even those were probably puppets on remotely controlled sticks. Anyway, it was nice to get a clear view of one.

Set off early in the morning which turned out to be a mistake but I did get to see a nice sunrise.

I took this photo thinking it an example of the sort of benign symbiotic de-ticking sometimes presented on tv nature programmes but closer inspection reveals that the crow on the right has removed quite a big clump of "nesting material". Cow didn't seem to mind though.

After getting fed up waiting for the rain to stop I ended up opting for the short walk to Creag Choinnich.

There are glimpses of the surroundings on the way up.

And it is quite steep but that feels good after an hour of pointless waiting.

I found it to be a good path all the way up with just one rocky section that can be bypassed.

Once out of the trees there are good, clear views of Glen Clunie, Morrone, Braemar and the Dee.

A short rocky section that is easily bypassed.

View from near the top.

Time to descend and I thought that was that but...

Near the bottom a squirrel appeared.

Sure as fate, as soon as I got back to the car the cloud started breaking up. I didn't really feel like reverting to plan A so headed east. By the time I got to Banchory it was wall to wall sunshine but for some reason my enthusiasm for walking had gone. I did think of heading to Glen Esk but for some reason I started think it would be better to head home and go for a walk with my wife; she is even more of a fair weather walker than me and this was definitely looking like fair weather. Mind made up, it was a pleasant drive home then off to Fyvie Castle grounds for our regular stroll there.

Stopped at a layby to tidy the car. The change from the cold, wet, windy weather of the morning was a sharp contrast.

Well, that blue sky didn't seem to last long after all.

We walked up the sawmill road rather than walking round the loch as usual.

It is important for pheasants to drive slowly, clearly.

We fed a few small birds.

Baby blue-tit watching on from above.

Fine reflections in the loch.

Jill.

Unusual to see a moorhen at the boathouse.

Not many ducks wanting to be fed but we did see this moorhen with three or four chicks. They seemed to have their own feed sorted out though.

I didn't notice until reviewing the photos that the moorhen had delicately proffered some food for this chick. Not only that, the food was dunked in the loch first:

Time to go.

litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland