walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

the guardians of Talisker Bay and the stallion head

the guardians of Talisker Bay and the stallion head

Postby litljortindan » Mon May 17, 2021 2:22 pm

Route description: Preshal Beg & More with Biod Ruadh, Talisker

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Beinn Bhreac (Eynort)

Date walked: 15/05/2021

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 600m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The welcoming committee with Preshal More behind.

Black Cuillin to the south east.

I ascended Preshal More from the north. Here is some detail of its basalt columns.

MacLeod's Maidens to the north.

Another member of the welcoming committee pointing out the way.
I wouldn't recommend going this way if the grass is wet; a slip could easily lead to a collision with one of the many rocks that pepper the grassy gully.

View south to Preshal Beg.

Canna in the background I think.

View of Talisker Bay forever from Preshal More cairn.

Outer Hebrides.

View from just south of summit cairn.

I was not keen on descending via any of the gullies so made my way to the north east corner of the summit area, where I had ascended from.

There is Preshal Beg again.

Here is the easy path you can follow to descend south if, like me, you don't fancy the gullies.

Fairly easy ground between the two hills, if a bit soggy in places. Preshal Beg ahead.

A bit of cloud brewing over Beinn Bhreac.

There's no wind now and I find the last few metres to the top of Preshal Beg a bit tough going.

But the reward of reaching the summit beallach is a fine view of Rum and Canna.

The Storr is prominent to the north north east.

Another lone waymarking sheep.

MacLeod's Maidens again.

A hint of a shower in the cloud,

And cloud to the south getting a little denser by the look of it.

It is interesting to wander about on the summit area but the south west facing slopes are too convex and unbroken to yield views of the rocks below. In retrospect I should have spent more time looking but next time...

Another easy descent.

I follow the grassy edge above the deposits of rockfall for a short distance but soon drop to flatter ground.

Might have got better photos by sticking to the foot of the columns but still interesting I think.

At last, a sizeable break in the wall. This might provide a good spot for taking photos looking down on some of the columns; for future reference.

Once round the nose of Preshal Beg, Preshal More comes into sight again.

I descend following an atv track headed in the Talisker House direction. View looking back up at Preshal Beg. If I'd had more time I would have diverted west to explore more of the coastal scenery south of Biod Ruadh which is where I got to on my last visit to the area.

My only real mistake the whole morning was crossing this burn west, thinking I'd be able to contour along the hillside. However, the burn heads down a steep-sided gorge so I eventually had to find a re-crossing point which necessitated getting the feet wet but nothing more. So my advice would be to stay on the east side of the Sleadale Burn even if that doesn't look the best option from above.

A few wee waterfalls add to the interest.

Not seen this style before, I think. I was a little bit surprised to find this is followed by an exit through a gate in what looks like someone's garden.

Fourth last look at the mighty, brooding Preshal More against a now darkening sky.

Passed the menagerie of screeching peacocks then set off from the now busy car park but my route was again blocked by the locals:

One or two drops of precipitation on the way home but almost nothing.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland