walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lethargy, crazy weather and the glorious AK Way

Lethargy, crazy weather and the glorious AK Way

Postby dogplodder » Tue May 18, 2021 10:14 pm

Route description: Affric Kintail Way 1: Drumnadrochit to Cannich

Date walked: 01/04/2021

Distance: 21.5 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

To be clear, the lethargy part of the title doesn't relate to walking. That's the thing that's kept me sane over the past 5 months. Scanning the forecast and finding a place to go has given purpose and even a ripple of excitement to each passing day.

For me the lethargy is about intending to write up walks but then having a struggle to muster the enthusiasm to get fingers on to keyboard. It's not for lack of time or opportunity, but whenever I think about doing it, something else comes to mind to do instead. Lockdown brain is apparently a thing, so maybe that's it.

Due to covid we were staying local so had the bright idea to start the Affric Kintail Way. We weren't car sharing so decided to split the Drumnadrochit to Cannich section and do the the first bit as an out and back.

It was April Fools Day. We parked in the car park in the centre of the village and followed the route as described by WH towards Craigmonie woods. All was straightforward until we reached a fork in the path where we took the left fork that went slightly uphill rather than the right fork that went slightly downhill. I was following WH directions but missed the bit about taking the right branch (lockdown brain again with the added effect of the date it was). We later twigged it should have been the lower path, which we took on the return to see what we'd missed, but it didn't really matter as it was an excellent path, just higher up and parallel to the intended one and the lower path joined the higher one further on.

View west along Glen Urquhart and the houses of Easter Milton
IMG_0951c.JPG

Glen Urquhart looking east back towards Loch Ness and path we should have been on
IMG_0956.JPG

Forestry track heading for Corrimony.
IMG_0963.JPG

Gushing burn
IMG_0965c.JPG

Evidence of recent felling all along this section
IMG_0966.JPG

Shortly after nearing the river we reached a gate into the forestry car park and picnic area at Balnain, which was our turnaround point. Before retracing our steps we sat at one of the picnic tables, handy for flask and mug, and had a sandwich. The dog would have preferred a sandwich but she got her usual carrots - and a share of my sandwich when she'd finished.

Raw carrots for lunch
IMG_0969.JPG

New path and foot bridge taken on our way back to Drum
IMG_0974c.JPG

Loch Ness again
IMG_0975.JPG

On 7th April Ian did the same route except he walked from Drum to Cannich and got the bus back. His photos are a bit different from ours!

Return of winter (7th April, Ian's photos)
WhatsApp Image 2021-04-07 at 8.11.55 AM.jpeg

170576547_10158033290766218_7644547345109881930_n.jpg

Moira and I were back at Balnain on 12th April, warned by Ian about the snow..... but there was none.

Setting off from Balnain picnic area (12th April)
IMG_1027.JPG

IMG_1028.JPG

Loch Meikle
IMG_1029.JPG

Only snow we saw was on the higher tops beyond Cannich
IMG_1030.JPG

The air was sweet with the scent of recent felling
IMG_1032.JPG

Loch Meikle again
IMG_1039.JPG

The only slightly muddy part of the route was when we went through a gate on to a farm track frequented by cattle. Cattle can cause a serious quagmire with their hooves and dung (memories of cow pat alley on the WHW) but these ones had been very considerate and it was only slightly muddy. A polite notice on the gate announced the presence of a bull, but if he was there he didn't introduce himself.

Moira on the farm track
IMG_1041c.JPG

Zoomed to cattle
IMG_1042c.JPG

White houses and white car at Shenval
IMG_1043.JPG

Birches a pleasant change after straight rows of conifers
IMG_1045.JPG

Crossing White Bridge
IMG_1048.JPG

Ian had found the 7km along the A831 a bit tedious but possibly because we'd been warned we didn't find it too bad. There was hardly any traffic so not too much stepping on to the grass verge and the scenery was lovely. I didn't bring the dog with me because of the road section but she walks well on the lead and it would have been fine.

A831 to Cannich
IMG_1049.JPG

IMG_1053c.JPG

Lochan Dubh
IMG_1055c.JPG

First sign of snow at roadside as we neared Cannich
IMG_1056c.JPG

Strath Glass
IMG_1057c.JPG

River crossing to reach the village
IMG_1059.JPG

IMG_1060.JPG

We walked along as far as the Spar shop where there was a coffee machine with a full choice of coffee options. So we got a fix of caffeine and a Bounty bar before the journey home.

If we thought Ian's experience of April snow was unexpected it was nothing compared to what happened a month later. On 6th May it took us 90 minutes to drive a part of the A9 that usually takes 35 minutes, due to snow on the road and a fallen tree at Daviot, and during that journey we were passed by multiple snow ploughs. Crazy weather right enough!
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland