walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Panther's sanctuary

Panther's sanctuary

Postby BlackPanther » Wed May 19, 2021 7:17 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Creag Dhubh Mhor

Date walked: 30/04/2021

Time taken: 6.25 hours

Distance: 14.5 km

Ascent: 726m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Weather on Friday the 30th of April was very similar to the previous two days: sunshine with a chance of snow showers, cold but low winds. A good day for a Graham, Kevin said. The best conditions were supposed to be in the north west, Torridon and Strathcarron in particular, so we took the opportunity to revisit another hill we really loved the first time:
Creag Dhubh Mhor. The full traverse of this small mountain is simply one of the most enjoyable ridge walks we have ever done. The inner sanctuary between Creag Dhubh Mhor and its subsidiary top, Carn Geuradainn, dotted with lochans situated on different levels, kept us entertained for hours. During our first visit we approached the Graham using the path along Eas na Creige Duibhe Moire gorge and returned using another path, the right of way to Bedronaig bothy. This is definitely the best way to climb this Graham and, as in the case of Sgùrr a'Gharaidh the day before, we decided to repeat the old route. We were not disappointed. Despite showers passing over, we really enjoyed the inner sanctuary of Creag Dhubh Mhor :D

Track_CREAG DHUBH MHOR 14.5KM.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

In the village of Achintee, where the Bedronaig path starts, there is space for a couple of cars by the power station. Alternatively, one could park in Strathcarron (I think there's free car park by the railway station) and walk a short distance along the road. Both paths are signposted at the beginning and are obvious enough to follow.
Over a stile and into the gorse jungle:
2021-04-30 creag dhubh mhor 004.JPG

Strathcarron and Loch Carron from the initial stage of the path:
2021-04-30 creag dhubh mhor 015.JPG

After about 0.5km, the path joins a well-beaten track leading to a small hydro dam. Four years ago when we first visited this spot, the dam was still under construction and the area looked very messy. It has been tidied up since and though the track is still a scar in the landscape, at least it no longer looks like a building site.
2021-04-30 creag dhubh mhor 022.JPG

We were glad to leave the hydro structures behind and dive into the wilderness:
2021-04-30 creag dhubh mhor 030.JPG

Soon we spied the path again and followed it into the gorge of Eas na Creige Duibhe Moire:
2021-04-30 creag dhubh mhor 040.JPG

As we gained height, more and more distant mountains came into view, that including the Cuillin ridge:
2021-04-30 creag dhubh mhor 052.JPG

Maol Chean-dearg and An Ruadh Stac:
2021-04-30 creag dhubh mhor 056.JPG

Above the gorge, our approach path became quite boggy, so we left it and aimed for a wide grassy gully which offers the easiest way up to gain the ridge:
2021-04-30 creag dhubh mhor 059.JPG

About half way up the steep section, we noticed a shower chasing us. It proved to be the first of many yet to come, but luckily, most of them missed us, passing to the north or south of Creag Dhubh Mhor.
Kevin facing the snow:
2021-04-30 creag dhubh mhor 219.JPG

With my husband busy photographing the weather anomalies, I turned my eyes up...only to spot an eagle gliding silently over me!
2021-04-30 creag dhubh mhor 075.JPG

Another shower threatening us, this one coming right at us from the direction of Lurg Mhor:
2021-04-30 creag dhubh mhor 085.JPG

Yet another one, this time too far away to reach us:
2021-04-30 creag dhubh mhor 236.JPG

We climbed out of the gully and onto the ridge and I posed with the most spectacular of the showers behind me, just to show off :lol: :
2021-04-30 creag dhubh mhor 092.JPG

Spectacular! Today the "net curtain effect" was even better than the day before. Kevin spent most time with his camera up and running!
2021-04-30 creag dhubh mhor 098.JPG

The final climb to the summit:
2021-04-30 creag dhubh mhor 106.JPG

On the summit of Creag Dhubh Mhor, admiring the superb vistas to the west. The edge of one of the showers can just be seen to the right hand side:
2021-04-30 creag dhubh mhor 115.JPG

The Cuillin of Sky once again, before it disappeared behind white curtain:
2021-04-30 creag dhubh mhor 244.JPG

The ridge yet to come:
2021-04-30 creag dhubh mhor 110.JPG

The shower arrived just as we sat down to have our cuppa, so after a few sips we decided to leave lunch for later and just wait for the snow to pass. Thankfully, the shower didn't last long and soon we were descending due west towards the first of many lochans:
2021-04-30 creag dhubh mhor 119.JPG

I looked for pockets of easy scramble, but there was little to really challenge me at this stage. The best scrambling opportunities come later:
2021-04-30 creag dhubh mhor 128.JPG

Panoramic view of the main summit of Creag Dhubh Mhor from below:
2021-04-30 creag dhubh mhor 133.JPG

Last time, we descended into the sanctuary to the lowest of the chain of lochs, Loch a'Choire Odhair, this time, just to vary the route, we followed the western edge of the ridge, which offered good views north to the Torridons (and all the weather boiling up around them):
2021-04-30 creag dhubh mhor 136.JPG

Carn Geuradainn and the middle lochan:
2021-04-30 creag dhubh mhor 269.JPG

Kevin loves rocky, bumpy terrain with multiple outcrops, there's always something interesting to photograph!
2021-04-30 creag dhubh mhor 274.JPG

We strolled along the wide ridge, visiting every mini-top and photographing every nook and cranny. Someone might ask why we wasted so much time, but for us, BEING THERE is just as important as reaching the top. It's about feeling the mountains in your bloodstream. Absorbing the beauty of nature with your whole body and mind. Might sound silly, but for me at least, the hills have such a fantastic "reviving" ability. After the depressing months of COVID, it's what we need to stay sane.
2021-04-30 creag dhubh mhor 167.JPG

Creag Dhubh Mhor with Lurg Mhor/Cheescake duo behind:
2021-04-30 creag dhubh mhor 172.JPG

Panoramic version, Loch a'Choire Odhair is the smaller body of water to the right:
2021-04-30 creag dhubh mhor 182.JPG

Two more lochans, these located in Coire Dubh, west of Carn Geuradainn:
2021-04-30 creag dhubh mhor 199.JPG

Water above, water below, water everywhere :lol: :lol: At least there was no water in my boots!
2021-04-30 creag dhubh mhor 316.JPG

It is simply an amazing landscape, every five minutes, every 100m of walking the perspective changes. No wonder Kevin couldn't take his eyes of the sanctuary...
2021-04-30 creag dhubh mhor 322.JPG

I sniffed some scrambling...
2021-04-30 creag dhubh mhor 218.JPG

...but Kevin was still too bewildered to photograph my clumsy efforts of clambering over rocks. Instead, he just gazed in the distance:
2021-04-30 creag dhubh mhor 327.JPG

The mountains of West Monar seen from near the trig point of Carn Geuradainn:
2021-04-30 creag dhubh mhor 332.JPG

The moss-covered trig point of Carn Geuradainn is surrounded by a stone shelter, a good spot for the delayed lunch, but first - let's strike a pose!
2021-04-28 creag dhubh mhor 021.JPG

Lucy admiring the tops of Torridon:
2021-04-28 creag dhubh mhor 025.JPG

The ridge continues over several more small tops, no compulsory scrambling though, a couple of steeper sections but nothing too taxing:
2021-04-28 creag dhubh mhor 037.JPG

Is there a better way to spend a day than munching your sandwiches with THIS view in front of you?
2021-04-28 creag dhubh mhor 052.JPG

Looking back to the tops surrounding the sanctuary from the western end of the ridge. Creag Dhubh Mhor in the middle, Carn Geuradainn to the right:
2021-04-28 creag dhubh mhor 061.JPG

Descending to the Bedronaig path:
2021-04-30 creag dhubh mhor 369.JPG

Walking back didn't take long; as a matter of fact, we spent more time lurking around the sanctuary than walking in/out. What a fantastic day it was, despite the passing showers. We will certainly return to this hill in the future, maybe even in winter conditions. It may not be a big mountain (just about a Graham at 612m) but what it lacks in height, it gains in character.

Our next trip will take us to Badrallach, to the top of Mountain of the Goat also known as "Valkiria's Tits". It was too cold for naked breasts, but warm enough for wildlife, including countless lizards. TR in progress.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Re: Panther's sanctuary

Postby jmarkb » Wed May 19, 2021 7:26 pm

Great report - that looks like an interesting wee hill, wasn't really aware of it at all. I'll file that one away for a shortish day - thanks for posting!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Stevenp » Wed May 19, 2021 9:00 pm

A very good read - thanks. I live only a few miles from this round but have never given these hills any thought. After reading your report that will soon be remedied!
Stevenp
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:14
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:13   

Postby EmmaKTunskeen » Fri May 21, 2021 12:20 pm

jmarkb wrote:Great report - that looks like an interesting wee hill, wasn't really aware of it at all. I'll file that one away for a shortish day - thanks for posting!

Hear hear! :D
EmmaKTunskeen
Mountain Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:28
Fionas:12   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:50
Wainwrights:41   Islands:24

Postby malky_c » Fri May 21, 2021 3:03 pm

Great hill, and one I've now been up on 3 occasions. Still haven't done this proper traverse though - maybe next time. When we were up there in early April, I felt like I was on something more remote on the edge of Knoydart.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland