walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wish I had been up Ben Lomond - a walk up Doughnot Hill

Wish I had been up Ben Lomond - a walk up Doughnot Hill

Postby snodland » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:16 am

Date walked: 16/03/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 14 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It has been a rotten week. I took a week’s annual leave. Planned to go up north and spend 4 days on the East Highland Way route. Well the heavy snowfall over the weekend put paid to that.
Then to cap it all, the 2 builder/property developers I had got to tear out and refit my bathroom turned up 3 days early – yeah I know Builders are meant to turn up late or not at all so I should be grateful. However I needed to get out of their way (or more accurately out of range of their singing along to the radio). Monday and Tuesday were no go for the hills. Incessant snowfall here in Glasgow.Today looked promising on the forecast – but in reality on waking and seeing deep mist my options for getting a view looked pretty ropey.
I headed out to a newly found favourite, Doughnot Hill near Laing Crags at Dumbarton.
On the train out to Bowling there was hardly a view across the Clyde. It did not look promising.
Walking up the Crags Circular Path mist was blocking any hint of a view. On previous trips I had been able to see across to Dunoon, Arrochar but not today.
Laing Crags in the mist.JPG

Into the wood and I decided to try and prolong the walk by looking at a reservoir just off the main route, that I had always bypassed. Sun was lighting up the trees so maybe there was hope.
Greenland Reservoir 2.JPG

Back on the track the snow was heavy going. Only about a foot deep but you start to think about what it will be like on Auchenreoch Muir and the open hillside and what a slog the walk is already.
Crags Path in the trees.JPG

I got to Black Linn reservoir and it looked OK.
Black Linnn Reservoir looking towards Black Hill.JPG
Not actually Black Hill
Black Linn Reservoir.JPG

Target of Doughnot Hill
Doughnot Hill.JPG

Walking along the bank of the reservoir and just clearing the trees it became clear that there would be something special to see from the top of Doughnot.
Luss and Arrochar Hills from Black Linn Reservoir.JPG

The path up to Black Hill and then Doughnot Hill was covered in snow with only sheep tracks to try and help negotiate the very boggy ground. Nonetheless I was now in a hurry to get to the top and see the view. It didn’t disappoint. The Arrochar Hills, Ben Lomond and Ben Ledi poking out above the clouds. In some of the pics I think you can make out Ben Lui to the left of Ben Lomond.
Trig Point on Doughnot looking North.JPG
Cobbler,Ben Ime,Beinn Narnain.JPG
Ben Lomond.JPG
Ben Lomond (2).JPG
Arrochar Hills.JPG
Ben Ime to Ben Vane.jpg

Looking over towards the Campsies the snowfall had marked the escarpment – I’m not sure if this is Corrie Balglass or just the bit below Slackdhu that is prone to landslips.
Over to the Campsies.jpg

Down towards Dumbarton and the track back home the mist was burning off.
Looking back to the Crags Path.jpg

I just couldn’t stop trying different camera settings to try and capture the view. I haven’t really been able to do it justice, but goodness knows I took enough snaps in the attempt.
One More of Ben Lomond (Lui) is to the left.jpg
Last look at the view.jpg

I so wish I had been on top of Ben Lomond today. I bet the view must have been far more spectacular
Laing Crags no longer in mist.jpg
snodland
Munro compleatist

Munros:89   Corbetts:17
Fionas:14   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5

Re: Wish I had been up Ben Lomond - a walk up Doughnot Hill

Postby rockhopper » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:23 am

Nice. You've got some cracking photos there. :D

Look on the bright side - Ben Lomond would probably have been a lot busier and the weather may have changed by the time you got there :problem: :think: :?
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby LeithySuburbs » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:35 am

Looks a nice day oot anyway :D . That crags feature in the Campsies looks interesting :think: .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby PeteR » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:56 am

Some great pics there looking toward Arrochar and Ben Lomond. Good for you that the sun defeated the mist.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Jock McJock » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:22 am

Nice report and some nice pics there. Brings back memories, I used to camp at the Black Linn when I was a youngster. Been up there loads of times and it never disapoints. Lovely wee walk.
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby walk aboot » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:52 am

Nice photos, Andy, hope you get another few walks in before you go back to work :)
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby SouthernUplandKing » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:44 pm

Great photos mate, got a himalayan feel to them :)
SouthernUplandKing
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland