walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Midweek Meandering: Beinn Dubh and Mid Hill

Midweek Meandering: Beinn Dubh and Mid Hill

Postby WeeHills » Thu May 20, 2021 11:45 am

Route description: Beinn Dubh - Glen Striddle horseshoe, Luss

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Dubh

Date walked: 19/05/2021

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 725m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

For the first time in 14 months I'm actually working my contracted days this week, which means not a Wednesday. The boss is somewhat apologetic when she breaks this news. I haven't the heart to tell her but truth be known the novelty of weekends off wore out after about the first six weeks last year. I am delighted by the return of the midweek day to myself. I do, however, have other commitments so with the forecast looking good search for a reasonably close at hand and shortish route. Luss, just a 40 minute drive away, seems a good place to start and after some consideration I settle on the Glen Striddle Horseshoe. I have a vague recollection of Beinn Dubh but have a feeling I was still in my teens at the time, so a year or 30 back. Time for a return visit.

I set off in warm sunshine and make my way through the wee patch of woodland which is presently carpeted in bluebells. A good start which is followed by a straightforward ascent up a clear grass path. It is an easy enough pull up, but rather monotonous. Sure the views back over Loch Lomond and toward the Ben are fine, but Beinn Dubh itself is all a bit grass, grass and more grass. No crags, no bogs, no burns, nothing to break it up.

bluebellsbeinndubh.jpg
Bluebells in the woods.

bonniebanks.jpg
Bonnie banks, looking back down on Luss

benlomonda.jpg
The ever beautiful Ben Lomond

After what feels like a month, but in reality is less than an hour, I am relieved to reach the fence line. Now it feels like I'm getting somewhere, and there's something on the hill to look at that isn't -expletive deleted- grass, even if it is just a fence. Definitely time to stop for a quick coffee before continuing to the top.

beinndubhpath.jpg
Endless grass, the path up Beinn Dubh

benlomondb.jpg
Coffee stop and more Ben Lomond

Caffeine topped up, and mood improved, I continue the short distance up to the first cairn of the day. From here on the walk becomes a pleasure. Views open up to the north and the Arrochar Hills, there are some fine peat hags and the path wends through gently undulating, boggy ground. On a wetter day this would be a proper squelch fest but today requires no more than an occasional detour around the soggiest bits, at no point do the gaiters leave the bag.

beinndubhlooknorth.jpg
Looking north from Beinn Dubh

I'm now enjoying myself immensely and amble slowly taking it all in. After a time I'm approaching a second cairn, marking the highest point on the round. This one is capped by what, from a distance, looks like an iddy-biddy snowman. It proves, unsurprisingly, not to be snow but a couple of chunks of quartzite, gleaming in the sun. From this point the views towards the Cobbler and it's neighbours are superb. An ideal spot to stop for some dinner. I settle down, pour coffee, dig out food, take one bite and it starts raining.

cairnandcobbler.jpg
Cobbler to the left of me, Beinn Ime to the right...A charming cairn with views to the Arrocher Hills

Now don't get me wrong, I quite like walking in the rain, I'm Scottish after all, it's in my DNA, but I prefer not to sit in it so decide to down the coffee and move on. Food can wait until it passes. Thankfully by the time I've bimbled my way around the horseshoe to Mid Hill the clouds have passed and the sun is shining once more. I find a spot looking back over Glen Striddle to Beinn Dudh and plonk myself down for dinner take two.

beinndubh.jpg
Dinner take two, looking back to Beinn Dubh from Mid Hill

Fed and watered it is time to head downwards. The descent is relatively gentle and the views down the Glen Luss are pleasing.

descenttoglenluss.jpg
Descending down into Glen Luss

All that remains is the walk along the road back to the car. As road walking goes this one is pretty enjoyable. I encounter precisely two cars the whole way and amuse myself spotting finches and tits flitting about in the lovely deciduous woodland the lines either side and provides shade from the sun. It is a rather idyllic way to end what has been a not overly strenuous day in the hills.
WeeHills

Re: Midweek Meandering: Beinn Dubh and Mid Hill

Postby Graeme D » Thu May 20, 2021 11:30 pm

I feel myself being drawn towards the Luss hills for one of my forthcoming midweek wanders! :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby WeeHills » Fri May 21, 2021 9:28 am

They make for an excellent wee wander, enjoy.
WeeHills

Postby Anne C » Fri May 21, 2021 12:21 pm

It's a cracking round, taking in Mid Hill too though I always find that walk back along the road feels really long - probably just the tarmac!
Even going part way round Beinn Dubh then retracing back to the summit makes for a great half day out, all year round, sun or snow.Views are stunning to the Arrochar Alps - and there's the excellent Coachhouse Coffee Shop in Luss to indulge in afterwards. :D
Anne C
Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:30
Fionas:34   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:48   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:57

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland