walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Curved Ridge and Crowberry Tower (Front)

Curved Ridge and Crowberry Tower (Front)

Postby Stripey Hat Guy » Mon May 24, 2021 10:49 am

Date walked: 24/05/2021

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Went last week up the famous curved ridge in Glencoe. I read a lot about it, watched plenty of videos and still thought to myself - well that must be hard/difficult.

However after doing it I need to admit it is by far not as difficult/scary as a lot of people say - said this it is probably depending on where you are coming from.

In my video memory I tried to capture the complete path including the Crowberry Tower from the front in a more natural perspective for those of you who want to see the route with no added drama 8)

Hope it helps those people who aren't sure how difficult it is to get a better feeling of it. This video is not a guide of how to do the curved ridge, rather a memory for myself of a rather easy scramble in a stunning scenery.

ATB Stripey
Stripey Hat Guy

Re: Curved Ridge and Crowberry Tower (Front)

Postby Verylatestarter » Mon May 24, 2021 1:51 pm

That was great thanks, I've now added to the to-do list.

How long was you round trip to complete the scramble?

John
Verylatestarter
Mountain Walker

Munros:35   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   
Islands:5

Postby gaffr » Mon May 24, 2021 3:49 pm

Hello....Very pleasant images on your video of the Curved Ridge. I much prefer your use of the stick?, held in front, to enable the video to be made. The videos that I have seen of folks making a recording using a camera fixed to the helmet are not pleasant to watch.
I agree with you that the ridge is very pleasant scrambling and a good way to reach the summit of Stob Dearg.
When I was younger the ridge was our descent route after completing a climb on the Rannoch Wall....but of course I was able to use both hands on the rock. :)
Many thanks for this video.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Stripey Hat Guy » Tue May 25, 2021 9:45 am

Verylatestarter wrote:That was great thanks, I've now added to the to-do list.

How long was you round trip to complete the scramble?

John

Hi John, it took me up the ridge around 2 hrs and down another 1.5 hrs. Said this on the way down I still had some snow fields in the Corrie which I needed to cross further down on the scree which wasn't very pleasant as the snow was far to soft.
Stripey Hat Guy

Postby Stripey Hat Guy » Tue May 25, 2021 9:47 am

gaffr wrote:Hello....Very pleasant images on your video of the Curved Ridge. I much prefer your use of the stick?, held in front, to enable the video to be made. The videos that I have seen of folks making a recording using a camera fixed to the helmet are not pleasant to watch.
I agree with you that the ridge is very pleasant scrambling and a good way to reach the summit of Stob Dearg.
When I was younger the ridge was our descent route after completing a climb on the Rannoch Wall....but of course I was able to use both hands on the rock. :)
Many thanks for this video.

Thank you very much! I used a stick to hold the camera in front of me - which is actually not as bad as people might think.
Stripey Hat Guy

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland