walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

New boots & a rare quickfire hat-trick just before half time

New boots & a rare quickfire hat-trick just before half time

Postby Graeme D » Wed May 26, 2021 4:16 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Mam na Gualainn

Date walked: 22/05/2021

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 18.5 km

Ascent: 1260m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

In anticipation of restrictions lifting over the course of the spring and early parts of the summer and the hope that the Indian variant won't have plunged us back into lockdown and me into interminable repeats of Kinnoull and Moncreiffe Hills, Kev and I had pencilled in a Knoydart trip for July. Knoydart will be a step up from the kind of walking that sustained me through the first 4 months or so of the year, and even from the two Graham and Corbett bagging trips I had thus far managed to get in since being allowed to venture outside the local authority. So some more re-acclimatisation time would be required, not just in terms of the hill walking itself but also in terms of brushing up on the old wild camping routine.

My plan had been to head north on the Friday evening before meeting up with Kev in Kinlochleven on Saturday morning to tackle the Corbett Mam na Gualainn. Unlike Wednesdays and Thursdays at the moment, I have a class last period on a Friday so I wouldn't be able to get out of Perth until 4pm at the earliest, and even then only assuming a very swift and problem-free getaway. I had planned to head up to Glen Roy and do Carn Dearg and Leana Mhor (East) before camping in the glen and getting away sharp on the Saturday morning for Kinlochleven. All of this would see me hit the magical 111 and exactly half way on the Corbett round the following day on Mam na Gualainn.

When it came to it though, I was typically poorly prepared for a sharp exit and a few work matters really needed a bit of attention before the weekend or they would only come back to haunt me on Monday. I settled instead for a night at home and a drive along the A85 the following morning rather than up the A9 that evening.

So for the third time in a month, I was heading through Methven, Crieff, Comrie, St Fillans, Lochearnhead and on up through Glen Ogle to Crianlarich. The first time up here in April I had taken a right at Crianlarich, the next time a left. Today it was right again and up through Tyndrum where things started to get a bit busy. The Real Food Cafe seemed to be doing a roaring breakfast trade and by the time I had crossed Rannoch Moor and was heading into Glencoe, the parking spots for the Buachaille and neighbouring hills were already looking rammed and it was only just 8am.

I pulled into the Grey Mare's Tail car park in Kinlochleven around 8.20, a few moments behind Kev. Ross McGowan (a.k.a. Magoo82) was already parked up but had long since left the car and headed for the hills. He had posted on social media the previous evening saying he was heading into the Mamores early doors and would be away by the time Kev and I pitched up. I hadn't walked with Kev since before the pandemic - the beginning of November 2019 and a howler of a day on Carn Dearg (S. of Gleann Eachach) followed by our second Luib Chonnal night of that year. This was also Kev's first time walking with Luna, born the week after that bothy night and now doing her third Corbett.

We headed along the road on the north side of Loch Leven towards the MacDonald Hotel, before cutting off up onto the busy path to the right that climbs up onto the track leading from the Mamore Lodge through into the Lairig Mhor. I wasn't used to walking with this many folk around, having seen scarcely another living soul on my previous two post-lockdown outings.

IMG_1022.JPG
Beinn na Caillich behind the pylon lines and across Loch Leven to the Pap and Thunderbolt Mountain

We were pretty sure that most of these people would melt away once we left the WHW and took to the hill path and right enough, from that point we had the hill to ourselves until we dropped back down onto the WHW track several hours later. We dropped down the scar-like path and over the Allt Nathrach onto the path up the steep eastern nose of Beinn na Caillich, and had the place to ourselves.

IMG_1025.JPG
Above Loch Leven on the stony ascent path of Beinn na Caillich

I was putting the new Asolo boots through their paces for the first time after the long overdue retirement of the trusty old Akus which had seen me through many years of hill adventures but had dumped me on my backside one too many times on my last outing in Arrochar. The uppers, although split in a couple of places, were still up to the task and somehow largely still waterproof, but the soles were practically worn flat in most places.

IMG_1028.JPG
Beinn na Caillich

IMG_1030.JPG
Luna wondering why the bipeds are going so slowly

I also wasn't used to walking this regularly (in the hill walking sense at least), this being my third outing in a month. This would have been a pretty rare occurrence in the pre-covid days but Mrs D seems strangely relaxed about it nowadays. Maybe she is just assuming that it is only a matter of time until some bad stuff goes down and I am once again limited to endless repeats of Moncreiffe Hill.

IMG_1033.JPG
Beinn a'Bhethir between the Pap of Glencoe and Beinn na Caillich

IMG_1034.JPG
Stob Ban and the Devil's Ridge sticking out the back

If earlier on I hadn't been used to walking with so many others in sight (or in Asolo boots), I was certainly becoming accustomed to walking in fine conditions. Other than a couple of hail showers that bookended my last outing on The Brack and Cnoc Coinnich, I had enjoyed superb weather on my two post-lockdown trips and today looked like the hat trick was on. Certainly not typical of my memories of pre-pandemic hill walking days!

IMG_1036.JPG
Kev striding out like a man on a mission

IMG_1040.JPG
Across to Stob Ban and part of the Ring of Steall again, the WHW track bottom right

IMG_1041.JPG
Back down the east ridge of Beinn na Caillich - Kinlochleven at the head of Loch Leven with the Blackwater dam and reservoir beyond and the massive bulk of Garbh Bheinn across the loch

IMG_1043.JPG
More Mamores, and I'm liking the look of an ascent of Stob Ban from this side

After a spot of contouring round the side and having to backtrack a short distance, we were soon at the small cairn marking the summit of Beinn na Caillich. If it hadn't been obvious already that the quicker ascent up from Callert on the north shore of Loch Leven would have done this mountain a grave disservice, it certainly was now to anybody with the ability to see. There now stretched out before us what Cameron McNeish would almost certainly refer to as "a splendid high level grassy promenade", with the Corbett summit of Mam na Gualainn at its western termination.

IMG_1044.JPG
Kinlochleven and Blackwater from Beinn na Caillich with a distant Schiehallion visible on the horizon

IMG_1046.JPG
Kev on the edge

IMG_1047.JPG
Pap of Glencoe and a boat on Loch Leven

IMG_1049.JPG
Is there a spot or two on Beinn a'Bhethir?

IMG_1050.JPG
Luna not sure which way to run

IMG_1052.JPG
What would McNeish have to say about this?

IMG_1054.JPG
Brooding Mamores

We sauntered along the broad grassy ridge, stopping now and then to take in the views and take some photos. Mam na Gualainn is certainly a hill at the centre of a lot of stuff and with prime views to it all - across Loch Leven to the Glencoe and Ballachulish hills, out across Loch Linnhe towards Ardgour, across the western Mamores towards Nevis (which was defiantly keeping a hat on today) and back over Kinlochleven and Blackwater towards the expanse of Rannoch Moor.

IMG_1057.JPG
The ridge ahead to Mam na Gualainn

IMG_1062.JPG
Beinn a'Bhethir with Sgor a'Choise and Fraochaidh to its left

IMG_1064.JPG
A window with a view

IMG_1065.JPG
Looking back east to Beinn na Caillich - Kev takin' a wee moment

IMG_1067.JPG
Still a little snow cap on the summit of Sgorr Dhearg on the Beinn a'Bheithir horseshoe

We passed the time catching up on the events that have shaped our lives and the lives of the rest of us over the year and a half or so since that Luib Chonnal night - mostly unfortunate and negative in nature: the B word, a certain pandemic and the resultant lockdowns that it brought with it, Tories, goons turning up in vans and trying to disappear people, and of course the fortunes (or perhaps misfortunes would be more apt) of our respective fitba teams.

IMG_1068.JPG
Loch Leven wedged firmly between Beinn na Caillich and Garbh Bheinn

IMG_1070.JPG
A decent sized chunk of Mamores

IMG_1073.JPG
Gradually reeling in the summit of Mam na Gualainn

But there was, as always, some chat about the better things in life - how our two girls are growing up and getting on (OK, so they're not always angelic but let's focus on the bigger picture), the positives we have taken out of the lockdown experience (surely not being allowed to travel to Suxbridge is a good thing), the merits of dog ownership (killer farts notwithstanding, especially when your dog hoovers up a dead frog) and of course new beer discoveries (Dirty Sanchez anyone?)

IMG_1075.JPG
Quite an array of hills and memories of some good and some not so good days on them - Bidean across the Pap and the western end of the AE ridge, Sgurr na h-Ulaidh, Fionnlaidh, Meall Lighiche, Meall Mor and Sgorr a'Choise

IMG_1079.JPG
Back whence we came from just before the summit

We were soon at the cylindrical trig point with its memorial plaque to a Royal Marine and quickly had to layer up against the biting wind. It might be a glorious day in the latter half of May but it was feeling more like March than a day just a few weeks shy of mid-summer. If I had got my act together last night and did what I had originally planned, I'd now be celebrating the exact mid-point of the Corbett round but as it was, I'd have to settle for being one short for the time being.

IMG_1080.JPG
Kev bags another Ronnie

IMG_1088.JPG
Should have been the half time whistle for me, instead I'll have to settle for added time at the end of the first half

IMG_1081.JPG
Ominous skies above Thunderbolt Mountain

IMG_1083.JPG
Which one of these two mugs is most likely to give me some of their lunch?

IMG_1084.JPG
Another huge chunk of prime West Highland hillscape

IMG_1085.JPG
Satisfying view back to Kinlochleven and beyond

IMG_1087.JPG
The traditional self timer effort before making tracks

We packed up and headed west off the summit to loop around and drop down to pick up the Callert-Lairigmor Right of Way that would take us back to the WHW track for the last 6 or 7 kilometres back to Kinlochleven.

IMG_1089.JPG
Heading away from Kinlochleven to return to Kinlochleven

IMG_1090.JPG
A last glance over to Bidean and co.

Back on the WHW, people suddenly rematerialised, all of them heading towards Fort William with small daypacks, many of them asking how far they still had to go. 10 miles Kev would say. About 20 minutes I would say. We eyed up the fine looking ascent of Stob Ban from the old ruins at Tigh-na-sleubhaich which, just like the Dirty Sanchez, looked quite Fierce from a distance but unlike the Dirty Sanchez, became considerably more benign the more you saw of it.

IMG_1093.JPG
Stob Ban and Tigh-na-sleubhaich

IMG_1094.JPG
Those Mountain Ash will grow anywhere

We sustained ourselves back to the cars with Knoydart chat and plans for our proposed bagging trip there in July. I'm sure I'll have heard the half time whistle by then I can get the second half of my Corbett round up and running as well as kick starting my Munro count, stalled since last September on Moruisg.

IMG_1096.JPG
Last look back at Beinn na Caillich before returning to Kinlochleven

Back at the car park we said our farewells in the expectation that it will not be nearly as long until we next walk together and then Kev headed off. In the few minutes it took me to change my footwear and eat the remaining tuna mayo roll from my pack, Ross wandered into the car park after his day out in the Eastern Mamores and we blethered for a bit before I too hit the road in time to hear my adopted home town team do the League Cup and Scottish Cup Double. Oh well, at least some folks cannae complain too much about their team!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: New boots & a rare quickfire hat-trick just before half

Postby Gordie12 » Fri May 28, 2021 9:15 am

Hi Graeme

Personally, I preferred it when we were useless - there was no pressure. Supporting the second most successful team in Scotland in the last few years is pretty stressful :lol: :lol: :lol:

I liked the look of this route, some great views along the length of the loch below.

As I am one of those peeps you would have been telling that it was only 20 minutes to Fort William it's probably about time I went over to Kinlochleven and finally did some hills. That being the case, any route you would recommend as a start??
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby kevsbald » Sat May 29, 2021 7:22 am

Splendid report as always and affa guid tae see you both.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Graeme D » Mon May 31, 2021 2:08 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Hi Graeme

Personally, I preferred it when we were useless - there was no pressure. Supporting the second most successful team in Scotland in the last few years is pretty stressful :lol: :lol: :lol:

I liked the look of this route, some great views along the length of the loch below.

As I am one of those peeps you would have been telling that it was only 20 minutes to Fort William it's probably about time I went over to Kinlochleven and finally did some hills. That being the case, any route you would recommend as a start??

Hi Gordie, depends what you're looking for. This route is a belter and I'd thoroughly recommend it. Garbh Bheinn across the loch is great too but a lung buster of an ascent. I haven't done the Corbett Glas Bheinn out towards Blackwater but I think it would be a good option too if you wanted to explore this area.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland