walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Geallaig - A Fine Viewpoint

Geallaig - A Fine Viewpoint

Postby Gordie12 » Fri May 28, 2021 12:33 pm

Route description: Geallaig and the Gairn

Fionas included on this walk: Geallaig Hill

Date walked: 27/05/2021

Time taken: 4.2 hours

Distance: 17.6 km

Ascent: 508m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was a Graham I'd thought about a lot recently having previously seen a walk report on it. I followed the Walk Highlands route to turn the walk in to a near 11 mile circular route rather than a straight up and down which could have been done in under 2 hours.

The parking is good for this walk, I parked opposite Braenalion and as long as you leave access for a gate there is plenty room to park and well off the road.

I tend to prefer walks where there is a decent leg stretch before arriving at the climb but that isn't the case with this hill and as soon as you leave the roadside you are climbing. This was the first day this year where it felt warm, the sun was in and out of the clouds but the forecast was for things to improve as the day went on.

1.JPG
Parking

2.JPG
The early climbing

3.JPG

Looking back down towards the start I could see my return track running parallel with the river.

4.JPG

When the fence line on the left comes in to view the gradient eases off and it's a very gradual climb to the summit.

5.JPG

This is a Graham where you don't have to work very hard to find the top!

And the views are terrific.

9.JPG

6.JPG
Morven - a few miles east

8.JPG
Zoomed Mt Keen

7.JPG
And the star of the show......... Lochnagar

I spent about 20 minutes at the top having something to eat and taking in the views before turning back on the same track I came up on. After a few minutes I saw the very obvious track to my left that would take me down and back to the road.

The long and winding road............seemed to go on for ages.

10.JPG
Alternative Route Down

11.JPG

After a couple of undulations and a lot fo descent I was back at the roadside and turning left I walked along the road for 1km to pick up the ROW to Tomintoul.

12.JPG
And the 2021 pot hole winner of the year is ......

13.JPG

After the road walk the ROW track is almost as smooth so really easy walking as I head towards Blairglass.

14.JPG
The route ahead

15.JPG

16.JPG
Looking over to Geallaig

17.JPG
And back to Lochnagar

18.JPG
The abandoned cottage and ruins at Blairglass

After passing Blairglass the track turns and descends to reach Glen Gairn and the River Gairn where I was surprised to see a large green field surrounded by moorland and hills.

19.JPG

Rather than continuing up Glen Gairn I took a track to my right which took me back down the glen following the river which was below me and to my left.

20.JPG
River Gairn

21.JPG
And again

It was at this point I saw a couple out on mountain bikes - the only peeps I saw all day.

The track follows the river for a couple of miles with a few more ruins and deserted cottages along the way.

22.JPG

And finally Braenaloin and the start of the walk come in to view and it's a gentle climb back up to the roadside and the end of the walk.

23.JPG
Braenaloin with Geallaig beyond

I'm glad I didn't just "up and down" this hill, the Walk Highlands route makes for a much more enjoyable walk. On a good day, the views from Geallaig really make the climb worth it.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland