walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

I was Lost, but Norman found me

I was Lost, but Norman found me

Postby Ghotay » Sun May 30, 2021 12:53 pm

Munros included on this walk: Eididh nan Clach Geala, Seana Bhràigh

Date walked: 28/05/2021

Time taken: 10.67 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I woke up not far from Ullapool with a stomach ache and called the whole day off.

Until I woke up at 11am in the glorious sunshine and couldn't help myself. I figured, 9-10 hours for Seana Bhraigh, worst case I finish at 10, home by 11, and that's not too bad. ha. hahahaha

I experimented by started out with a bike for the first part of the track. It went well, but that shallow steady uphill incline - though I could barely see it - was a real killer on the thighs. Ditched the bike and immediately headed the wrong way uphill. Oh well, 20 mins lost no biggie. Set off up the much steeper correct path and it was *sweltering*. Full midday heat, I took my troos off for a while. As I gained height An Teallach climbed beautiful and shining behind me. Someday.

The ascent flattened out and the broad ridge path abruptly split into three. Two wet ATV tracks, and a well-trod path. It wasn't clear from that vantage where they each went, but I briefly inspected the ATV tracks for footprints and, seeing none, set off confidently on the leftmost path. First. Mistake.

I crossed the river and headed out across the moor, as described, but quickly lost confidence in it. I was definitely heading East, but there was NO mountain ahead of me? There was no way this could be right. I walked on for a while, then decided my choice of path must have been wrong, I must be north of where I'd intended. I cut south east along the rough ground heading towards the craggy hills. And there it was! The plateau of lochans opened up below me, they weren't quite the right shape but that's okay, and down in the basin was a path!

I followed it, expecting to curve round the cliffs at the base of the final ascent.

Dear reader, I could not find them.

I hadn't seen a soul all day, but just as I'd resolved to climb to higher ground and figure out where the hell I was, I saw a man coming off the hill to the south of me. I ran down to meet him and ask him where I was. He had a GPS watch, and the OS map. It turned out I was at the foot of entirely the wrong munro.

My initial path must have been correct, and I had dverted well out of my way. He was friendly though, and invited me to the top of Eididh Nan Clach Geala together so at least the day wouldn't be a total waste. I eagerly accepted. The idea of trudging out into the hills for hours and not summiting *anything* has always pained me.

We summited, and he completed his round of the Beinn Dearg four. From there Seana Bhraigh was clear as day. A route across the rough ground seemed possible. We eyed it up. I didn't realise What he was thinking.

"Shall we go for it?"

"... I will if you will"

And so Norman and I set off for Seana Bhraigh together (I later found out we were more or less following the Steve Fallon route, which I had suspected). Joiner by trade, ascended to site manager, father of 2 young daughters. In a competition with his wife to bag the most munros, as they could rarely go together for childcare. He was up wild camping on holiday and had done the 4 northernmost munros over the previous part of the week. He was in the 60s, she was ahead of him in the 90s. He was easygoing, friendly and funny. Took to teasing me straightaway. Raised on Barra, moved to Cumbernauld as a kid, but Barra clearly stayed with him.

We talked about all sorts, and good company eased my spirits. The route was fairly clear, with only a few minor diversions. Stopped for scran on the summit and wondered how long it would take us to get back. He reckoned half 10, I reckoned 11

Descending the route finding was tricky initially. So much rock and scree and crag on the map it was difficult to pick out, but he eventually found the route on his GPS and that gave us some confidence. Then we joined the clear outward path. I had tired feet by then but was feeling good. Norman of course had a heroic day in the end, I think it was 20-22 miles or something like that.

We came across my inbound footprints before long. What an absolute pillock. We turned around there and it sounds strange, but there was just no sign of the mountain we had just climbed. Nothing for it to hide behind either. Very deceptive. An Teallach was beautiful still in the sunset. We found a puddle full of sally manders!

Got to my bike and agreed to say goodbye in the car park. It was only here that the incline of the path became obvious, as I freewheeled the whole way back. Nearly 11 hours in the end, what a day. Not actually THAT much longer than the prediction for Seana Bhraigh alone though! And in my defence it wasn't a bad route if one's intention was to do those 2 together.

Norman wasn't far behind me. A little after 11. We chatted a little, and parted. Not much sleep for me that night - still to drive home, and long day ward cover in the morning. I woke up still furious about the whole thing. Most lost I've ever been. Can't believe I went up the WRONG BLOODY HILL! Incredible.

But I'm glad it happened. I made a friend. I'm certainly making a habit of joining forces with strangers on hills! Thanks, Norman
Ghotay

Munros:115   Corbetts:12
Donalds:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland