walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Dearg from Amulree

Meall Dearg from Amulree

Postby rob munbett » Mon May 31, 2021 9:56 am

Fionas included on this walk: Meall Dearg

Date walked: 30/05/2021

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 14.3 km

Ascent: 621m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The weather forecast was good so I set off early to have a walk up this hill that I've had my eye on for some time. However, there was thick fog which didn't clear until Crieff, so the journey up was a bit slower that expected. Still, I parked at Amulree just before 9 and set off along the track towards Glen Fender. It was a good track leading to a bridge and then a tall style and finally to the estate road in the glen.
Glen Fender pan.JPG
Walking up Glen Fender
It was very pleasant walking up the glen in the early morning sunshine and I made good progress to the second-on-the-right track heading up the hillside. It got a bit steeper now so out came the poles but I gained height quickly (well, fairly quickly!) and soon reached Beinn Liath.
IMG_20210530_104127.jpg
Meall Dearg from Beinn Liath
Meall Dearg still looked a fair distance away but I knew from my research on Google Earth that there was an estate road most of the way to the hill. This made for a pleasant high-level stroll but there were plenty of ups and downs along the broad ridge. After a final steep ascent, I realised it was time to leave the track and head on to the 'rough stuff' to reach the summit trig.
P1040649.JPG
Leaving the track to head for the summit
There were some lovely wet peat hags to negotiate and plenty of heather and tussocks to test the ankles and knees before a final steep rise to reach the gleaming white trig. I t was quite hazy at this time so the views were good but not great but Farragon Hill and Schiehallion were fairly clear.
Meall Dearg summit pan.JPG
Meall Dearg summit pan
P1040648.JPG
Looking back to Beinn Liath from the summit
After a bite to eat and sit to have a look around, I set off back down through the hags and heather to reach the track but if I was expecting a nice easy stroll out I was mistaken: there were a few too many ascents on the walk out for my liking - especially the last km or so from Glen Fender to Amulree which seemed to be all uphill - gentle uphill true enough but at the end of a fairly long walk, any uphill is a bit of a struggle, especially when one is building up hill-fitness. It was a relief, then, to get back to the car which I had parked in the shade of a tree and guzzle down a t least a litre of refreshing water.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Re: Meall Dearg from Amulree

Postby Gordie12 » Mon May 31, 2021 11:42 am

Hi Rob

That looks a far more interesting route than my starting point further north on the Aberfeldy road (just shy of the windfarm).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland