walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall an Tarsaid - heathery hell

Meall an Tarsaid - heathery hell

Postby Jaxter » Mon May 31, 2021 4:13 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meall an Tarsaid

Date walked: 20/03/2021

Time taken: 275 hours

Distance: 3.66 km

Ascent: 275m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A slightly gloomy Saturday where I wasn't up to much, Malky suggested Meall an Tarsaid, a small Marilyn near Whitebridge. Malky's previous report for this hill stated "the hillside was very steep. I got up most of it by hauling myself up on armfuls of heather" and other reports didn't seem to fare much better... :shock: A look at the map suggested that a track from the north-west would get us the closest to hill and the gradient didn't look too bad (on paper :roll: )

We found a place to get the car off the road just near the start of the track which gave us a good view of what we'd let ourselves in for (above) and also Beinn a' Bhacaidh (previous heathery mess - below)

The track led easily across a field before climbing more steeply up the hillside. Beinn Sgurrach across the glen looked like a much more interesting hill to climb!

I was finding it tough going so we took our time - looking back we could see back towards Inverness

The track led us to a fence which turned out to be a double fence. It looked to be a bit of a pain to climb so I tried to breathe while Malky went for a wee wander to see if there was a gate...

A tree house!

Trying to scope out a route - it looked like the first section would be ok but the steep heather after looked horrible :shock:

Malky couldn't find a gate so we had to climb - for once it turned out that being smaller was actually an advantage on the flimsier of the fences - Malky definitely had a harder time of it :lol:

Safely across the fence, we slowly plodded our way up the section of flattened bracken which was steep but not too bad underfoot. After that, it got bad... Beinn a' Bhacaidh and Burach with some sun

Beinn Sgurrach and Loch Garth

The steep heather was torture - if the ground is good I can sort of very slowly plod up steep slopes, but this was impossible and we made slow progress. Finally on the summit plateau we found somewhere out of the wind to sit and have some tea and snacks. The summit was a short distance over more heather but I wasn't that fussed by then :lol:

Looking up the River Fechlin towards Loch Killin

After a decent break we did manage to walk the short distance to the summit (it would have been annoying having got so close). We could see some weather coming up the Great Glen...

The edge of the Monadhliath plateau was starting to get clouded over too

Summit of Meall an Tarsaid
Image51064220302_b0ea31143a_o

It was a nice wee spot but not really the weather for hanging around - it was windy and the threat of showers was becoming more real by the second.... We avoided reascending the other bit of summit and headed back down. Although it was in now way enjoyable, the steep heather was significantly easier on the way down and before long we were down the worst of it and plodding down the track.

We took a short drive up the glen to Loch Killin - the rain had started by the time we arrived there but it was a lovely spot and somewhere to explore another time.
Attachments

activity_6462427025.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Jaxter on Mon May 31, 2021 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Meall an Tarsaid - heathery hell

Postby aaquater » Mon May 31, 2021 9:16 pm

Deep heather like this is so energy-sapping, it might be easier to trudge through 2 feet of fresh snow (although I don't know if snow on top of deep heather would negate or bolster each other)... but at least you made it back down before the rain! :D
aaquater

Munros:74   Corbetts:37
Fionas:40   Donalds:23+12
Sub 2000:52   Hewitts:18

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:44 pm

Which of you is the one searching out the deep heather routes??? Or do you both do it??

Maybe we should form a sub-section of WH called "The deep heather folk".....
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:23 pm

Nice one. The southside of Loch Ness has some great wee hills and some wild land that's rarely visited. Loch Killin is a fine spot.

My favourite hill in that area with a fantastic view from the top is Dun Dearduil though it is on only the obscurist of lists :D . The easiest route up is from the forestry car park at Inverfarigaig. Malky has done it before, though maybe a harder route.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=70482

The higher top next to it Dun Garbh which has the trig is visited even less often. That is where my profile pic was taken many moons ago - so if you ever happen to visit, the top of the trig would be a great place for the Jaxter pose.

All the best. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Jaxter » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:36 am

aaquater wrote:Deep heather like this is so energy-sapping, it might be easier to trudge through 2 feet of fresh snow (although I don't know if snow on top of deep heather would negate or bolster each other)... but at least you made it back down before the rain! :D

I hate heather - snow at least feels more rewarding and hurts less when you fall in it :lol:

Alteknacker wrote:Which of you is the one searching out the deep heather routes??? Or do you both do it??

Maybe we should form a sub-section of WH called "The deep heather folk".....

Haha - please no!!! I think the problem is because the only things I can do at the moment are small and therefore generally covered in heather. I blame Malky though :crazy:

Sunset tripper wrote:Nice one. The southside of Loch Ness has some great wee hills and some wild land that's rarely visited. Loch Killin is a fine spot.

My favourite hill in that area with a fantastic view from the top is Dun Dearduil though it is on only the obscurist of lists :D . The easiest route up is from the forestry car park at Inverfarigaig. Malky has done it before, though maybe a harder route.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=70482

The higher top next to it Dun Garbh which has the trig is visited even less often. That is where my profile pic was taken many moons ago - so if you ever happen to visit, the top of the trig would be a great place for the Jaxter pose.

All the best. :D

I think we've cycled around the bottom of both of those hills on that amazing zig-zag corkscrew road! Malky has pointed out the pointier of the two (not sure which) and we were planning to camp up there, but it hasn't happened yet. Will have a nosey - not sure if it's something I'd be able to manage at the moment - but it looks worth the effort for sure 8)
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland