walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Malky gets eaten by his own hair on Stac Gorm!

Malky gets eaten by his own hair on Stac Gorm!

Postby Jaxter » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:08 pm

Date walked: 31/05/2021

Time taken: 1.1 hours

Distance: 2.63 km

Ascent: 198m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Although it doesn't look like it, this was a kayaking trip. Or it was meant to be! When we inflated the kayak on the side of Loch Duntelchaig it went BOOM - turned out that Malky's kayak repair skills were not quite as good as he thought :lol: Seeing as a nice relaxing evening of kayaking was clearly off the menu, I suggested a short stroll up Stac Gorm seeing as it was just down the road. Malky didn't have the most appropriate shoes on and I had socks with holes, but why not... :lol:

There's a good path all the way up Stac Gorm. The initial boggy sections were successfully, if not very gracefully negotiated. The heather either side of the narrow path was a bit painful on bare legs! Although we were walking fairly slowly, before too long we had reached the rockier and more interesting part of the hill

Loch Ruthven - the crappy phone camera doesn't really do it justice :roll:

At last we dragged ourselves out onto the summit - it was pretty windy but the views were excellent 8)

Brin Rock and Strath Nairn

Looking South - we could make out Gulvain and even Knoydart

Looking down Loch Ruthven to the Loch Lochy munros and Strathfarrar hills to the right

Ben Wyvis

Bit windy for Jaxtering :lol:

We found a sheltered (ish) side of the trig to sit behind and chill out. It was a beautiful evening for Malky to get eaten by his hair :lol:

Beinn Mheadhoin behind Dumnaglass and the edge of the Monadhliath

Eventually the call of dinner spurred us into action and we got going, back down the same way

Back at the car it was an easy drive home and surprisingly I had enough energy to make dinner - something which Malky took full advantage of :lol:
Attachments

activity_6875893958.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Malky gets eaten by his own hair on Stac Gorm!

Postby onsen » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:01 pm

Kraken sighting !... :lol: 8)
Just a tinge jealous of his lengthy locks. :wink:
onsen
Munro compleatist

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:13 pm

I wouldn't want to meet Malky in the forest, he'd scare the heck out of me! :lol: :lol: :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby denfinella » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:22 pm

Thanks for this - added to the list (and I wanted to go back to Loch Ruthven for bird spotting anyway). Even better that there's a path :)
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:53 pm

Like a kind of jet black giant squid!!

Bit hypocritical though: the back of my tatty locks haven't been cut for a year or so (can't reach 'em), so I've got a wonderful (= absolutely breathtakingly horrible) 80s mullet.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby ere1 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:55 pm

Hi Jackie

I always enjoy your stories and am a bit jealous that you are able to visit the hills so often. I miss Scotland, the hills and the lochs. Hopefully, 2022 will be a better year, in which I can travel from the Netherlands to the Highlands without difficulties. Keep hiking and take beautiful pictures! :D

Peter
ere1
Walker

Munros:51   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:7

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:44 pm

Can't beat a nice evening on the water. Oh, OK. You had a good go at it anyway! :lol:

(Time to upgrade the deflatable? :D )
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Jaxter » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:02 pm

onsen wrote:Kraken sighting !... :lol: 8)
Just a tinge jealous of his lengthy locks. :wink:

They're fabulous aren't they! Can't believe he wants to cut it off :shock: :shock:

BlackPanther wrote:I wouldn't want to meet Malky in the forest, he'd scare the heck out of me! :lol: :lol: :lol:

He's a scary guy - even without the hair :wink:

denfinella wrote:Thanks for this - added to the list (and I wanted to go back to Loch Ruthven for bird spotting anyway). Even better that there's a path :)

It's a great wee one. Lots of good small hills in the area - thank goodness - but this one is particularly good as well as having a path! (Also Tom Bailgeann if you've not been there yet?)

Alteknacker wrote:Like a kind of jet black giant squid!!

Bit hypocritical though: the back of my tatty locks haven't been cut for a year or so (can't reach 'em), so I've got a wonderful (= absolutely breathtakingly horrible) 80s mullet.

Oh wow....you can't leave a comment like that without also posting a photo :lol: :lol:

ere1 wrote:Hi Jackie

I always enjoy your stories and am a bit jealous that you are able to visit the hills so often. I miss Scotland, the hills and the lochs. Hopefully, 2022 will be a better year, in which I can travel from the Netherlands to the Highlands without difficulties. Keep hiking and take beautiful pictures! :D

Peter

Thankyou - I'm missing the bigger hills but we are definitely lucky to have lovely places so close to home. Hopefully next year will be a better year for us all...

Mal Grey wrote:Can't beat a nice evening on the water. Oh, OK. You had a good go at it anyway! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
We have actually just picked up 2 sea kayaks. Decided to just DO IT! Looking forward to trying something new - hopefully a Long Covid compatible sport, because mountains is definitely not.
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:22 pm

Jaxter wrote:
Mal Grey wrote:Can't beat a nice evening on the water. Oh, OK. You had a good go at it anyway! :lol:

We have actually just picked up 2 sea kayaks. Decided to just DO IT! Looking forward to trying something new - hopefully a Long Covid compatible sport, because mountains is definitely not.

Two sea kayaks will open up all sorts of stuff, and also allow lots of gear carrying, up to a point! However, if you got a tandem open canoe, you could put Malky in the front, and just relax in the back steering gently whilst he does all the work. You can also fit in more ballast of the red, white or sparkling variety.
Song of the Paddle (more about open canoes but happy to talk kayaks, and lots of Scottish trips blogged) is the nearest equivalent to the WH forum when it comes to advice on where etc.
Generally, paddling can be relatively sedate, but it does have its moments on big lochs when the wind gets up and there's definitely a "brown pants moment" possibility!
Hope you can get back to the mountains in time too.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Jaxter » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:28 pm

Mal Grey wrote:
Jaxter wrote:

Two sea kayaks will open up all sorts of stuff, and also allow lots of gear carrying, up to a point! However, if you got a tandem open canoe, you could put Malky in the front, and just relax in the back steering gently whilst he does all the work. You can also fit in more ballast of the red, white or sparkling variety.
Song of the Paddle (more about open canoes but happy to talk kayaks, and lots of Scottish trips blogged) is the nearest equivalent to the WH forum when it comes to advice on where etc.
Generally, paddling can be relatively sedate, but it does have its moments on big lochs when the wind gets up and there's definitely a "brown pants moment" possibility!
Hope you can get back to the mountains in time too.

Yes - we've definitely been inspired by some of your watery adventures! There are some nice wee lochans near here where we can get out and practise falling in before embarking on anything more stupid :lol: I was thinking of making sure I bring a rope so I can tie myself to Malky and make him do all the work when I get tired :lol: I'm hoping we can get out and explore some coastlines and wee islands once we've got the hang of it but we've probably just missed the only calm weekend of the year last week :roll:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Sgurr » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:46 pm

You MUST have read about/ heard of/ been told of /Malky's Loch Morar kayaking exploit. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: What possessed him to get another?????
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Jaxter » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:58 pm

Sgurr wrote:You MUST have read about/ heard of/ been told of /Malky's Loch Morar kayaking exploit. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: What possessed him to get another?????

Yup - this is why I'd rather have my own than share with him :lol: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:35 am

Good to see you're managing to get out and about regularly - hope you're still continuing to improve and it won't be long before you're back on the bigger hills.
As for the hair.....I managed to get to the barber for the first time in about 16 months last week..think it's about time you got malky to do the same or he soon won't be able to see where he's going :wink: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland