walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bac an Eich the steep way

Bac an Eich the steep way

Postby AngusJLothian » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:18 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Bac an Eich

Date walked: 24/04/2021

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 693m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

activity_6665528044.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Having gone up Bac an Eich the previous week, we decided to take a more adventurous approach on this occasion. Following a faint stalkers path from Corriefeol towards Creag Achadh an Eas, the steep path eventually flattens.

IMG_3572.JPG

This area offers stunning views deep into the glen and out towards the Torridon hills. Continue up the North side of the Allt Coire na Feola gorge. Deer roam these hills, and if you're lucky you may stumble across some shed antlers.

IMG_3574.JPG

After crossing several smaller burns, the elevation becomes steeper as you come to An Leth-chreag.

IMG_3576.JPG

This next section is a steep, pathless route but once at the top of this section, the route to Bac an Eich trig point is simple. The return route follows the southwesterly route down to Drochaird Coire Mhadaidh and along the main path to Strathconon.
AngusJLothian
Walker

Munros:13   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:55
Wainwrights:83   Islands:6

Re: Bac an Eich the steep way

Postby gaffr » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:12 am

I recall this hill well when trying out one of the old yellow GPS things....I had plotted a few waypoints from the Map at home and onto a further Corbett, whose name I don't remember, that was some distance from the Eich but with a hard February frost progress was reasonable to get back to the motor before daylight faded. A nice day out with the hills to oneself. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Re: Bac an Eich the steep way

Postby gld73 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:55 pm

I was up Bac an Eich earlier this week, did it from Inverchoran. Every time I've been down Strathconon to do the corbetts and grahams I've seen dozens (if not hundreds!) of deer, still never come across a shed antler there though!
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland