walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Glenshee Six

The Glenshee Six

Postby andrewdoggett » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:32 pm

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, Càrn an Tuirc, Creag Leacach, Glas Maol, Tolmount, Tom Buidhe

Date walked: 19/03/2011

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 21.6 km

Ascent: 1227m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Craigee and I had plans to do the Glenshee 6 this weekend for a couple of weeks. Fair to say the deluge of snow didn't during the week wasn't ideal, but no matter, the forecast was (errr supposed to be) good! Slow going in deep snow to the first summit at the southern end of the walk, Creag Leacach

Glenshee 1.JPG

On the way to Glas Maol Satmap earnt it's money as we experienced whiteout conditions

Glenshee 2.JPG

And honestly, this is the same view avec Craigee and Rocco

Glenshee 3.JPG

Not 100% sure we'd have found the summit of Glas Maol in these conditions without Sat Map, wonders of technology!

Glenshee 4.JPG

And finally the 70% chance of cloud free munros on mwis comes good as we head for Cairn of Claise

Glenshee 5.JPG

Skiers; lazy...

Glenshee 6.JPG

Craigee and Rocco make for the summit of Tolmount; starting to feel tired in the legs now; this walking in a couple of feet of snow sinking half a foot with each step is strength sapping!

Glenshee 7.JPG

The last of the 6; craigee looking a tad cold on Carn an Tuiric

Glenshee 8.JPG

God bless the lovely local lady who gave Craigee a lift to the southern car park to get the car; we were knackard after this expedition; all down to the snow conditions!

Glenshee 9.JPG

The stats, slow going because of the deep snow... I suggest you don't do these six in snow this deep!

Glenshee 10.jpg

And the route...

2011 - 03 - 19 Glenshee 6.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

That's now 23 munros for the year, and another mini milestone; less than 200 to go as I notch up to 85!! 198... And that's enough snow for this year now thanks...
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Re: The Glenshee Six

Postby yokehead » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:02 pm

Nice job in those conditions and still a quick time I'd say. Superb photo of the whiteout! 8) As for skiers, looks like a good set of hills to be done on the planks, something else I'd like to try one day.
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby monty » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:28 pm

Good hard walk in the conditons. The skier had the right idea :lol:
monty

Postby andrewdoggett » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:10 pm

The skier had the right idea :lol:

We were debating whether it was better to be on skis or on foot, clearly the skis won the downhill race (though you can ski on your backside you know if it's steep enough :D ), but overall we caught them up and overtook them on the Tom Buidhe, Tolmount section... 8)

But we were dead...! :?
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:14 pm

You manage to still look cheery in the photos even if you a) had no views, b) were dead 8)
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby ChrisW » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:57 am

this walking in a couple of feet of snow sinking half a foot with each step is strength sapping

I'm so glad you wrote this, I did Broad Cairn yesterday in million mile an hour headwind and manic deep bands of snow in places (up to the waist twice) thought I would drop dead before the summit :shock: reading that you experienced guys suffer the same makes me feel better, though you still look happy at the summit whereas I looked relieved :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland