walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Walk Home

A Walk Home

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:09 pm

Date walked: 04/06/2021

Time taken: 8.7 hours

Distance: 45.9 km

Ascent: 314m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A dropped me off on the Fife side of the Tay Road Bridge and the plan was to cross the bridge, walk up the coast to Arbroath and then walk the back roads home. I did something very similar last July with a starting point of the Tay Railway Brdige.

We have had a fair bit of harr in recent mornings but this morning was clear as a button as I set off in warm sunshine at just after 7am from the car park just next to the bridge.

The walk over the central part of the bridge was a bit weird with 2 lanes of traffic flying by on either side as I waled down the middle on a shared cycle way. The telephone number for the Samaritans is 116 123 - it's plastered everywhere on the bridge for obvious reasons.

For the 20 odd minutes it took to cross the bridge there was a cool breeze but as soon as I was in Dundee the temperature rose noticeably.

Walking through the docks is a bit different from the norm and having been walking in the Cairngorms 3 days earlier it would be hard to find a greater contrast.

On reaching Carnoustie I stopped for a sandwich and a drink before heading on for Arbroath. At Arbroath I picked up a couple of cans of coke and that kept me going to the Shell garage on the outskirts of town where I bought a bottle of Fanta.

It was only in the last couple of miles that I started to feel slight pain in my feet but bearing in mind this is 28.5 miles with probably at least 27 of those miles on tarmac on a hot day I thought that was quite good.

Good training for my first day on the Formartine and Buchan Way (which I hope yto do soon) which will be 30+ miles but on disused railway tracks which should be softer on the feet.

1.JPG
Tay Road Bridge

2.JPG
Time for breakfast!

3.JPG
Looking over to Fife from Broughty Ferry harbour

4.JPG
I'm glad I don't suffer from hay fever
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland