walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Nevis via the CMD Arete

Ben Nevis via the CMD Arete

by murphy999 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:42 pm

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Càrn Mòr Dearg Arête

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis, Càrn Mòr Dearg

Date walked: 19/03/2011

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1650m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Ben Nevis via the CMD Arete

Postby Milesy » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:51 pm

murphy999 wrote:
Gable Gable End wrote:only downside is the French climbers (but that's all part of the risk you take in avalanche prone conditions)

The avalanche report warned of the high risk on north facing slopes. Hopefully it's a lesson learned for them.

In fairness to them it seems they did actually play it reasonably safe. Garadh Gully is low down on the flanks of Tower Ridge and was a safer choice given the days conditions. No one was venturing up high into the North Face Coires and most people that day were climbing on low down routes on the flanks of Tower Ridge etc. They were just unlucky.
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby murphy999 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:17 am

Milesy wrote:In fairness to them it seems they did actually play it reasonably safe. Garadh Gully is low down on the flanks of Tower Ridge and was a safer choice given the days conditions. No one was venturing up high into the North Face Coires and most people that day were climbing on low down routes on the flanks of Tower Ridge etc. They were just unlucky.

I think safe was a relative term that day. The risk was obvious from Carn Mor Dearg and there were plenty of people higher up, we saw them heading up almost everywhere on the north face and met a few on the summit. I suppose they couldn't resist how good a day it was, but thats the chance you take I suppose. For instance check out this guy!
DSC01817.JPG
murphy999
Stravaiging

Munros:57   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Milesy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:44 pm

There would have virtually been no major risk of avalanche on tower ridge itself so that is definately a good climbing choice for the day. :)
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby sketch » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:41 pm

Great report, great collection of photographs, I'm just jealous as I am not fit enough to do this level of walk just yet, till I recover from my back operation, again a great report :D
sketch
Mountaineer

Munros:19   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:2

Postby SeanKelly » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:00 pm

Interesting to read your great report as we were breaking the trail in front of you. I did the same February last year but this time took over 2 hrs longer to gain the summit of the CMD because of the arduous going in the deep snow. Reports indicated as much as a metre of new snow had fallen at the weekend! I think it was you that passed us on the top of CMD as we were having our lunch. I probably have pictures of you starting the arete which are posted on UKC (see this link) http://www.ukclimbing.com/photos/author.html?id=9687
I should add that this is my third traverse of the CMD in the last 3 winters and it has always been in such excellent weather and deep snow. All in all it was a great week so long as you were careful with route choice. We also climbed in Glencoe, Kintail, Coire Ardair, and Coire an T-Sneachda, but that Wednesday was the best!.
SeanKelly
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:4   

Postby JGKES » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:30 pm

Epic.
JGKES
Mountaineer

Munros:51   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Hewitts:140
Wainwrights:214   

Postby rocket-ron » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:37 pm

cracking report looking forward to doing this monday coming
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:99
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:16   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland