walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Another Fish(erfield) to fry

Another Fish(erfield) to fry

Postby BlackPanther » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:57 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Meall Mheinnidh

Date walked: 15/05/2021

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 29 km

Ascent: 906m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The third weekend of May brought us the first warm and sort-of sunny spell of weather. So now, with days much longer, we could get on with our main mission in 2021: climb as many remote Corbetts and Grahams as possible. Sometimes "remote" means overnighting, sometimes just a long walk in and out. Meall Mheinnidh near Poolewe falls into the second category.

Having visited all the Fisherfield Munros, we are now looking into lower Marylins in the area. For Beinn Lair and Beinn a' Chaisgein Mòr we are planning a two day trip with a camp by Fionn Loch. We had camped here before for A' Mhaighdean round and absolutely loved it. Bring on a good summer, we'd be all over the Fisherfield Corbetts!

Meall Mheinnidh was an easier option, nearly 30km to walk in a single day, but most of it on tracks and good paths. Also much quicker with light daypacks. Our route starts from Poolewe (the usual car park by the bridge) and follows the track to Kernsary and then the path through the forest, past the steep cliffs of Beinn Airigh Charr to Strathanmore. Here, we left the safety of the easy ground and climbed the NW ridge of Meall Mheinnidh. Returned the same way:

Track_MEALL MHEINNIDH.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Our Garmin was misbehaving for some unknown reason and only recorded the second part of the trip :roll: so it looks like we started from the summit. Apologies for this. I don't know what happened, it hasn't done it since so maybe it just had a bad day :lol:
Early morning in Poolewe:
2021-05-15 meall mheinnidh 002.JPG

On the track to Kernsary:
2021-05-15 meall mheinnidh 022.JPG

Out of the forest and into the wild, Beinn Airigh Charr on the horizon:
2021-05-15 meall mheinnidh 028.JPG

The Fisherfield wilderness is one of my favourite areas in Scotland and I can't wait for another multi-day trip to explore the Corbetts! But even a day walk was a bliss and at last it felt like proper spring, after weeks of cold wind and snow showers!
2021-05-15 meall mheinnidh 033.JPG

The "sanctuary" of remote peaks seen from the approach path: from A' Mhaighdean and Ruadh Stac Mòr (left) to Beinn Lair and Meall Mheinnidh (right):
2021-05-15 meall mheinnidh 034.JPG

Across Fionn Loch, the two Cheesecakes. We have visited the lower one since:
2021-05-15 meall mheinnidh 036.JPG

We reached a little lochan called Loch an Doire Crianaich, a perfect spot for a short refreshment break and a few photos with cloud reflected in the still surface. Weather was superb at the moment; forecast suggested some cloud around midday but it was supposed to stay dry.
2021-05-15 meall mheinnidh 048.JPG

Heading past the lochan to our target hill, now dominating the view in front of us. When I saw this side of Meall Mheinnidh for the first time, I described it as follows:
"The name means Grassy Hill, but to my eyes, it was made of sheer rock and nothing more!"
2021-05-15 meall mheinnidh 054.JPG

Strictly speaking, the whole world above us was made of sheer rock. Kevin noticed an ancient rockslide on the slopes of Beinn Airigh Charr:
2021-05-15 meall mheinnidh 223.JPG

Meall Mheinnidh from the path just before it crosses the river flowing out of Strathan Buidhe. The name of the stream is so long and complicated, I gave up on it :lol: :lol:
2021-05-15 meall mheinnidh 058.JPG

The photo above might suggest that the NW slope of Grassy Hill is a constant scramble, but there are gaps in the wall of this fortress - and we were aware of it!
Might just as well show off a bit!
2021-05-15 meall mheinnidh 068.JPG

Of course, there are many optional pockets of scrambling here but everything can be avoided. You can make this hill as easy or as hard as you wish!
One of the pockets we decided to omit:
2021-05-15 meall mheinnidh 232.JPG

The world of lochs and lochans to the north and west of the Graham:
2021-05-15 meall mheinnidh 075.JPG

Admiring the eastern face of Beinn Airigh Charr. The two hills can be combined using our route of approach, but we had visited the Corbett before (in winter conditions, on a perfect crampon-axe day) so we could concentrate on the Graham and take our time with the ascent, picking some easier scrambles for extra fun.
2021-05-15 meall mheinnidh 082.JPG

Kevin assessing a rocky section:
2021-05-15 meall mheinnidh 237.JPG

We were surprised to notice a faint path all the way to the summit, we didn't expect this hill to be popular enough to have one. Obviously, it is more a magnet to hillwalkers than we thought.
Getting a bit steep:
2021-05-15 meall mheinnidh 089.JPG

Kevin found another scrambling wall :lol:
2021-05-15 meall mheinnidh 257.JPG

Fionn Loch in panoramic mode:
2021-05-15 meall mheinnidh 102.JPG

Beinn Airigh Charr and the northern view:
2021-05-15 meall mheinnidh 118.JPG

The final section is less steep...
2021-05-15 meall mheinnidh 129.JPG

...but we still managed to find some good rocks to clamber over...
2021-05-15 meall mheinnidh 130.JPG

...and took many photos, including panoramic views of the wilderness below us:
2021-05-15 meall mheinnidh 140.JPG

Kevin was already making plans for our next target in this area, Beinn a' Chaisgein Beag:
2021-05-15 meall mheinnidh 258.JPG

An Teallach just about visible:
2021-05-15 meall mheinnidh 141.JPG

Eventually, after getting distracted by far too many rocky outcrops, we arrived on the summit. As forecast suggested, the sky clouded over, but the wind was low, so we could spend some time on top, enjoying the rare vistas to both north and south.
Kevin superhappy, our first NEW Graham this year!
2021-05-15 meall mheinnidh 282.JPG

Me and Lucy (her 96th Graham) on the summit of Meall Mheinnidh. The Torridon panorama in the background:
2021-05-15 meall mheinnidh 150.JPG

Beinn Lair - we're gonna get you soon!
2021-05-15 meall mheinnidh 274.JPG

Zoom to Coire Mhic Fhearchair and the Triple Buttress:
2021-05-15 meall mheinnidh 155.JPG

The inaccessible Glen Tulacha:
2021-05-15 meall mheinnidh 142.JPG

We unpacked our lunch and sat by the cairn for a while, discussing different options for combining the Fisherfield Corbetts. We could do Lair and The Big Cheescake in one overnighting trip, if we got Beinn a'Chaisgein Beag out of the way first. The latter, we agreed, could be approached in a day trip from Gruinard. The same walk in along Gruinard river could be utilized to reach the twin Beinn Deargs. We'll see how it goes in the summer.
More panoramic snaps from the top of Meall Mheinnidh:
2021-05-15 meall mheinnidh 173.JPG

2021-05-15 meall mheinnidh 172.JPG

Since we didn't have to climb Charr again, we could simply return the way we came. Weather started to clear again as we dropped towards Strathanmore, blue sky (and better light for photos) returning:
2021-05-15 meall mheinnidh 180.JPG

Kevin taking a shortcut below some crags:
2021-05-15 meall mheinnidh 298.JPG

The sanctuary of wilderness in the afternoon sunlight:
2021-05-15 meall mheinnidh 188.JPG

We didn't hurry on the way back, just enjoyed the silence and solitude of the area. Despite it being a weekend and one with reasonable weather, we only saw a few walkers on the Kernsary circuit and one tent pitched by Fionn Loch. Strange, because the car park was full to bursting. But I guess in such vast, empty area it is hardy possible to walk in a crowd :lol:
One last look at the Fisherfields from the path on the way back:
2021-05-15 meall mheinnidh 196.JPG

My next story will concern... guess what...another remote Graham, this one in Fort William area. Another one usually added to a multi-day trip, but we managed to bag it as a single day. With considerable reascent on the return leg. TR to come soon.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Re: Another Fish(erfield) to fry

Postby gld73 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:22 pm

Hadn't given any thought to this hill, but your report has now got me putting it on my "to do" list! :D
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Postby BlackPanther » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:59 pm

gld73 wrote:Hadn't given any thought to this hill, but your report has now got me putting it on my "to do" list!

Glad to be of service :D It's a much neglected Graham but well worth the long walk in. It could be traversed en route to Beinn Lair but that's a monster of a walk for the superfit. I'm too old for that now!

Beinn a' Chaisgein Beag on the other side of Fionn Loch is just as good. We did it last week, sadly didn't see summit views due to cloud. Similar terrain, similar distance. Will post my TR when I find time (I've got 10 reports pending!).
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:41 am

It looks like a really steep pyramid from the north end of Fionn Loch, but slightly less intimidating as you see it from the sides! Was looking at it whilst paddling FL last week. Another wonderful spot in an amazing part of the country.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:00 pm

Mal Grey wrote:It looks like a really steep pyramid from the north end of Fionn Loch, but slightly less intimidating as you see it from the sides! Was looking at it whilst paddling FL last week. Another wonderful spot in an amazing part of the country.

It is indeed a wonderful corner of Scotland! We are planning to return in July for a wild camp near Fionn Loch if weather smiles. Two Corbetts on the list (Beinn Lair and Beinn a' Chaisgein Mhor). At the moment we are doing remote Grahams, managed to bag Beinn na Cloiche on Sunday... We should really concentrate on the last 22 Munros but we get distracted too easily by other things, including plane crash sites :lol: :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland