walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Braeriach from Whitewell and Loch Einich - Bike n hike

Braeriach from Whitewell and Loch Einich - Bike n hike

Postby Sspaterson » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:56 pm

Route description: Braeriach, circuit from Whitewell

Munros included on this walk: Braeriach

Date walked: 06/06/2021

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 32 km

Ascent: 1348m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

What a brilliant way to do this massive hill.

1hr 50 bike in (lots of faffing, paddling and photos)
1hr walk to top of Coire Dhondail
1hr 35 walk to summit
2hr walk back to bikes
1hr bike out

Van to van was 8 hours to take in extra stops, wading and what not!

We pitched up in van near road end for a peaceful night. Up earlyish and set off, watch that you take the wee path to the left before reaching Whitehill Croft. Had to push our bikes along it but it's not far to the main path after which cycling is mostly a breeze. The woods here are just beautiful, magical almost. Crossed most of the fords by just breenging right on through. Chose to go up the steep main track which involved another bit of bike pushing and for me also on the descent as I was too woosy.

IMG_3696.jpeg
The long road in

Had to get our boots off to wade over the big river with stepping stones, it was just too deep and fast. It is here that many folk leave their bikes to head up the obvious path but I wanted to see Loch Einich so we carried on.

There is a final river to ford just before the loch and we pedalled like hell to get through it resulting in some soggy socks, and this is before the climb. Never mind, it was worth it. What a gorgeous spot. There was a family camping there with their two young kids - a great introduction to the great outdoors.

IMG_3701.jpeg
Loch Einich

After some photos we had to cycle back through that darn river to dump the bikes.

Looking up the corrie, it looks pretty impregnable but once you're up there the path is less obscure, just some care needed skirting the snow patches.

IMG_3703.jpeg
Ascending Coire Dhondail

IMG_3704.jpeg
Looking back at Loch Einich

IMG_3705.jpeg
Sgor Gaoith

IMG_3706.jpeg
Looking back along Glen Einich

IMG_3709.jpeg
Skirting the snow

There are a few burns to ford going up here but it's easy enough. Nice snow tunnels further up the gully. My ear worm going up was 'Many Rivers to Cross' by UB40. Wonder why!

IMG_3710.jpeg
The zig zags

IMG_3736.jpeg
Snow tunnel back in the corrie

IMG_3711.jpeg
The last ford to cross

Come out at a wee cairn then it was a quick map check and a change of direction to plod up onto the plateau. It's a bit bleak and I wouldn't like to be doing it in poor visibility but the views today were fabulous today.

IMG_3713.jpeg
Onwards and upwards

There was still plenty snow about and as we crossed it we finally saw other walkers approaching from different routes.

IMG_3718.jpeg
Snowy

IMG_3723.jpeg
Still going up

IMG_3725.jpeg
Approaching the summit

The views down the Lairig Ghru and all around were just amazing.

IMG_3727.jpeg
Looking down the Lairig Ghru

IMG_3734.jpeg
Cairntoul et al

IMG_3735.jpeg
A contemplative hubby

After ten minutes oohing and aahing we headed back the way we came, stopping at the cairn to take off a layer as it was pretty warm and to grab a snack. I was bemoaning the blackness of my rucksack as my bar of fruit and nut had melted in the heat.

Descended into Glen Einich taking great care at the really steep bit then it was easy going back to the bikes and back along the road. This time we chose the low road through the woods by the river rather than the high one. It was much prettier though a bit rough going and muddy at times, hubby almost coming a cropper on his gravel bike in a particularly deep muddy bit. I was feeling well chuffed with myself as I'm not a technical mountain biker and not keen on the rocky, rooty stuff but I managed to stay on and arrived back on the main track intact, shaken but not stirred. My ear worm going downwards was 'Never Far Away' by Jack White. Much better

IMG_3737.jpeg
Paddling

IMG_3739.jpeg
Those glorious woods

One great thing about arriving back at the camper van was sticking the kettle on and having a bit of a wash then sitting with a cuppa looking back at where we'd been. One of my best days in the hills.

Footnote: I was wearing my new shoes - Oboz Sawtooth low - for the first proper outing. I usually wear Salomon Quest Boots but I can't cycle in them and I couldn't be arsed taking them in the pannier. I wasn't familiar with the brand but my old Keen Targhees are falling to bits and the quality on new Keens ain't as good. My local outdoor shop persuaded me that these were nice and wide with a good foot bed for my ever expanding feet and dodgy bunion. At first I thought they might be a bit too stiff (just wearing casually about) but once out into the terrain they were designed for, they really were brilliant. Very grippy, took the knocks and totally waterproof (unless the water comes over your socks - see river crossing). On the bouncier, tufty stuff I was missing the ankle support of my Salomons but on the rocky trail these do just fine. They also do boots so I'd consider them in future.
Sspaterson

Munros:207   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:38

Re: Braeriach from Whitewell and Loch Einich - Bike n hike

Postby gaffr » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:11 am

Always a fine combination... Bike and twin burn route onto the three big hills on that side of the Cairngorms. I have started the bike part by a trail or path either side of the Baird and Barrie memorial both close to where a vehicle can be left.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland