walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Munro Two Hundred

Munro Two Hundred

Postby Chris Henshall » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:13 pm

Route description: Bidean nam Bian

Munros included on this walk: Bidean nam Bian, Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Date walked: 30/05/2021

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sunday, 30th. May, 2021:
After a long drive up from Kent and two Munros on the previous day, Tommy and I had met up with Alex and Steve in Crianlarich's Youth Hostel and we were now ready to take off into the hills for a couple of nights from Glen Etive. There had been some debate about our plans because of bank holiday crowds coupled with the need to carry heavy bags and, probably quite rightly, my idea of starting a big traverse with the twin peaks of Buachaille Etive Beag had been censored - so we started in Dalness with Sgreamach as our first objective. Etive itself was rammed with campers and picnickers enjoying the bank holiday sunshine but it didn't take more than half a mile's walking to leave everyone behind and, stopping only to see some fox cubs scramble into the shelter of a large boulder as we passed, we headed up the Allt Lairig Eilde and soon made the bealach at the head of the glen. It was time to turn our attention to the reasonably distinct ridge of Sron na Lairig on the north side of Stob Coire Sgreamhach.
1. Scotland Day Two - Copy.jpeg
Me, Steve and Tommy gaining height on the Sron na Lairig ridge
2. Scotland Day Two - Copy.jpeg
Me labouring under my big bag near the top of the Sron na Lairig ridge
I had climbed Bidean several times when instructing on winter mountaineering courses back in the 1980s but, perhaps because it didn't then have Munro status, I had never been to the top of Sgreamhach and I'd missed out. It's a tremendous hill, especially from the north, and the ridge over Beinn Fhada must surely be worth a day of anyone's time?
At any rate, we enjoyed the tremendous views as we wandered to its top and then on to the summit of Bidean, meeting with relatively large numbers of walkers; the scenery continued to be magnificent.
3. Scotland Day Two - Copy.jpeg
Looking to Bidean from near the summit of Sgreamhach
Once on top, however, it was time to head south and leave the crowds behind; indeed, except for a distant figure on the summit of Beinn Sgulaird at around lunchtime on Tuesday, we didn't see another soul until we descended back to Glen Etive two days later. Next, however, we were faced with a tricky descent off Bidean over steep ground (which demanded some care) followed by a break on the lonely Bealach Fhaolain, some contouring into the Bealach Fionnghaill and a short descent to a camp site by running water.
2f. Day Two - Camp site.JPG
Campsite high in Fionn Ghleann (1)
4. Scotland Day Two - Copy.jpeg
Campsite high in Fionn Ghleann (2)
Our only complaint was that we lost the sunshine earlier than was ideal - but we could look forward to traversing some high and lonely country on the following day.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Next Report: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=105592&p=448202#p448202.
Chris Henshall
Stravaiging

Munros:221   
Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland