walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Munros Two Hundred and Four to Two Hundred and Five

Munros Two Hundred and Four to Two Hundred and Five

Postby Chris Henshall » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:14 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Bheithir via Schoolhouse Ridge

Munros included on this walk: Sgòrr Dhearg (Beinn a' Bheithir), Sgòrr Dhònuill (Beinn a' Bheithir)

Date walked: 02/06/2021

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Wednesday, 2nd. June, 2021:
After three sun-scorched days out camping high and carrying big bags, Alex, Steve, Tommy and I had enjoyed some enthusiastic celebrations in the back bar of the Clachaig on the Tuesday evening - so things started relatively slowly today. The other three opted to do the Aonach Eagach but my eyes were elsewhere so I gave them a lift to the ridge's eastern end and, without having set any plans in stone, I headed off towards Beinn a' Bheithir.
I only had an old one inch tourist map in my bag but managed to park somewhere around the right place in Ballachulich and headed up the School House Ridge. Despite a hot sun, I made the summit of Sgòrr Dhearg with only one brief stop for water (so getting fitter) but, despite the large flying beetles which landed on my clothing every time the breeze dropped, I lingered for a long time as the view was spectacular. Two other guys then appeared and we had a chat while wandering up Sgòrr Dhònuill. One of them - Bob - had decided to do the full horseshoe and, with no specific descent plan in mind, I decided to join him. This was an excellent call as the long, western / northern ridge of the second peak gave an intricate, untravelled descent route featuring innumerable lochans between steep-sided knobbles and absolutely stunning views; the vista to the east north east up Loch Leven was magical. And, as a bonus, Bob and I were even able to replenish our water bottles at one point.
The penalties came in a trying descent through the inaccurately mapped forest to South Ballachulish, having to request permission from an obliging lady to reach the road through her back garden and a three kilometre stretch along the national cycle route to our cars but there were both some wonderful bluebells and a couple of beers in the Laroch Bar next to Ballachulish's Shinty Club for compensation. Bob and I had had a good day out on the hill!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Next Report: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=105595.
Last edited by Chris Henshall on Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Henshall
Mountaineer

Munros:253   
Hewitts:157
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Munros Two Hundred and Four to Two Hundred and Five

Postby Munro Mary » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:44 pm

Sounds great apart from those flying beetles!
Munro Mary
Rambler

Munros:10   
Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:6   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland