walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vorlich and Ben Vane - bike n hike from Inveruglas

Ben Vorlich and Ben Vane - bike n hike from Inveruglas

Postby Sspaterson » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:00 pm

Route description: Ben Vane, from Inveruglas

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vane, Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Date walked: 19/05/2021

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1700m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Hubby took an impromptu day off mid week and we decided to tick these two off by taking the bikes and cycling between them rather than going round by the dam.

I hadn't been down this road in years, since I moved from Glasgow to Perth so there were a few changes, the massive car park and the demise of the traffic lights at Pulpit Rock being the main ones.

Scooted off on bikes to the turn off up the Sloy dam road. Lots of construction work going on and it was pretty steep in parts. Planked the bikes at the start of the path up Ben Vorlich and started to climb. I knew it would be steep but jings, I was grateful for my poles. I can't actually remember how long it took us but it didn't seem long.

IMG_3489.jpeg
Approaching the top

The weather was stupendous and the views magnificent.

IMG_3493.jpeg
Onwards

IMG_3490.jpeg
Chucking on a layer

IMG_3491.jpeg
Twin Peaks

IMG_3494.jpeg
Looking down Loch Lomond

We set off back the way we came, disturbing a ptarmigan that was mid egg lay right next to the path. It was a crazy place to have a nest but it did that thing where it pretends to be wounded to lead us away from the nest. And another egg popped out whilst doing so. Hubby ran after it as it started rolling down the hill and returned it to the nest but I don't hold much hope that they'd survive to hatching, they were just too close to the path and we didn't know if it would be ok to move them to a safer spot in case the mother never found it. :?

Anyhoo, we grunted our way back down wishing we were 30 years younger, jumped on the bikes and wheeched around to the start of the path up Ben Vane.

It was lovely and then got really quite scrambly near the top. Not being quite so nimble as I once was, I had to get a shove up a particularly steep slab. The shame of it. More fab views at the top but we didn't hang about as a few rain showers were coming in and we got caught on the way back down.

3FE1870F-E065-49CA-AE01-F3706E7C45C2.jpeg
Me on Ben Vane

IMG_3495.jpeg
Sunshine and showers

IMG_3497.jpeg
Purty rainbow

The quads n calves were fair screaming for mercy and it was a relief to get back on the bikes for the awesome, hardly turning a pedal descent back to the main road and the car.

The total moving time on hubby's strava was 3hr 39 so pretty chuffed with that though there were lots of breaks and breathers. Glad to have done it this way as the Sloy dam option looked really tough with no discernible path to follow.
Sspaterson

Munros:208   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:38

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland