walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Aonach Eagach Ridge + Ridge Wild Camp

Aonach Eagach Ridge + Ridge Wild Camp

Postby Stripey Hat Guy » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:20 pm

Date walked: 09/06/2021

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well I really had to do it as well... probably the best known ridge in Scotland. What can I add which haven't been already said?

In my experience:

A)The rock isn't nearly as good as for example by the curved ridge which means if it is wet the well polished rock is really slippy.
B) it is by far not as scary as a lot of people say (ok, obviously it is depending where you are coming from)
C) It is really a fantastic scramble and I completely understand why it is so popular!

I started my trip at the wee parking slot at the foot of Am Bodach, went up and pitched my tent just behind the first chimney in time before the first rains "storm" came. The next morning I did the second half (actually this is where the real scramble starts), went direction pap of glencoe and then down to Glencoe Village and back to the car always along the street.

I also did a video memory of the trip, filmed in the most natural perspective possible for me so for those under us who are unsure how difficult or how certain areas look like it might be helpful.

ATB Stripey

Stripey Hat Guy

Re: Aonach Eagach Ridge + Ridge Wild Camp

Postby Jim777 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:26 am

Yet another fantastic video. Having done both I find it is very difficult to compare the Aonach Eagach and Curved Ridge as one is basically in the horizontal and one vertical. Overall I personally found the Aonach Eagach more difficult. Well done :clap: :clap: :clap:
Jim777
Mountain Walker

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland